Where to get complete gasket set and some pistons?

I yanked my dead engine last week, and want to know whats a preferred source to get a full gasket set. I’d rather just order a full set from somewhere as opposed to trying to piece everything together if there is a way to do that.

Also, where is the best source to get a set of legal pistons if I’m going to overbore the engine .020? I don’t think Summit or Jegs carry stuff like that.

Thanks in advance.

-Scott

Check out these. This is where im getting ours from not too bad
http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30-engine/M20B25cstpstn.html

You can get a lower and upper gasket set from them too.

Call bimmerparts.com. Cost me 500 for a set of mahle .020 over pistons.

Gasket “sets” are usually Victor Reinz. Pelican Parts has them, among others. The set is fine, but some people prefer Goetz headgasket’s over V-R, therefore I’d get the V-R set and also get a Goetz HG. Then pull the V-R HG out and stash it away for a rainy day.

Don’t forget you will need Rod bolts, Head bolts and bearings. Mains bolts can be reused. Or talk to Ranger on how to measure and possible reuse the others. I have purchased many of these items from Bimmerparts as well.

There’s a re-use protocol for both head and rod bolts based on how “stretched” they are, but that sort of thing is best only if you’re desparate. Head bolts are dirt cheap, albeit rod bolts less so. The last time I was looking for a good deal on rod bolts I got them from Bimmerparts.

Use your old rod bolts when test fitting your rod bearings. A rod bolt is good for 3 or 4 testfits before it gives. Pay close attention to the “feel” of the torque wrench and you can feel the rod bolt give before it snaps. Then back the rod bolt out and throw it away. Once you’re sure that the bearing tolerances are good, then use your new rod bolts for final assembly.

If you don’t buy new rods, be prepared for your rods to require reconditioning. The tolerance for them being out of round isn’t much. 4 tenthou I think…Richard is that your recollection too?

Brendan Digel - who built the engine for my car and most recently for Damion - has a set of 20 over pistons. He can also help you on the engine rebuild. Let me know and I’ll connect you guys.

Also chech Autohausaz dot com for parts…pistons are 102/ea now. Chuck

• 1 on bimmerparts.com
    They’re big supporters of our series. Show em some love back.

I called Bimmerparts.com last year and asked for a “set” of rebuild parts including gaskets, rings, bearings, bolts, clutch, pumps, belts…

Gave me a package deal that wasn’t too bad, ~$900 if I recall.

Thanks for all the thoughts, I’ll get on it.