Where can I go to see some E30's racing?

I don’t have a race car but I’d like to watch some racing. Where in Florida can a person go? There’s nothing on the calendar.

Rathbone wrote:

http://www.drivenasafl.com/content/view/41/149/

Our next Florida region NASA race is at Sebring (club course) the last weekend in March, the 28th and 29th. I think every Spec E30 is going to be there! That’s right, all 3 of us…lol but there are more being built and maybe even done by then. Other than that, you have to head up to the SE region for a good size group. We just race at CMP in South Carolina with the SE crowd and there were 18 Spec E30s there.

Where are you located? I’m in Sarasota, and the other two (the Blacks amd Don Stevens) are in the Tampa Bay area.

I’m in Palm Coast. It’s between St. Augustine and Daytona Beach.

You’d think there would be road races at Daytona, but other than the 24 hours I don’t think they do anything there.

Daytona is way too expensive for NASA. SCCA can afford it because they draw almost 400 cars that show up for Daytona. Last NASA race at Sebring had like 60 racers. FL NASA is still quite small but hopefully it will keep growing and someday we my have enough folks that we can hit Daytona.

What’s the difference between NASA and SCCA? I didn’t know there were so many different groups.

sir_gary wrote:

[quote]Our next Florida region NASA race is at Sebring (club course) the last weekend in March, the 28th and 29th. I think every Spec E30 is going to be there! That’s right, all 3 of us…lol but there are more being built and maybe even done by then. Other than that, you have to head up to the SE region for a good size group. We just race at CMP in South Carolina with the SE crowd and there were 18 Spec E30s there.

For what its worth, I don’t think I’ll have the car ready for March, but April in Homestead its game on!

The big difference between NASA and SCCA is that NASA is affordable. Since it’s a spec class everyones cars are close to equal. In SCCA there is alot more modification available, but even if you do them all an E30 won’t be competitive. One on the top guys in SCCA has an E36 with probably as much in his engine as I have in my entire car! SCCA requires deeper pockets. So NASA is the way for me. Plus I really like the group of guys (and girl) who race Spec E30.

What I would suggest is look at all series that operate at the tracks you want to race at. Look at NASA, SCCA, PBOC, BMWCCA, see who has the most races in an area you are will to travel to, look at what cars are at the top (or where you want to run in the pack) and see what is the best fit for you.

Come to Sebring in March and meet our little (and growing) gang and see what our cars are like.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

mougl1 - are you going to come up to sebring and hang out with us?

I second what Gary said.

There is an SCCA race next week at Sebring. I don’t think there will be any spec e30 cars there but there may be an ITS E30 or two.

Don

PBOC (Porsche BMW Owners Club) is running at Moroso this weekend. Probably a limited number of e30s, but definitely some BMWs and usually decent racing.

www.pbocflorida.com

Palm Beach International (formerly Moroso)
17047 Bee Line Hwy, Jupiter, FL 33478

mougl1 wrote:

Cool!
I think that since we’re planning to race March, that we’ll probably instruct April, but we’re back at Homestead again in May, so it should be race on for then…
We’ve been looking forward to actually racing at Homestead, the only NASA races we’ve hit so far have been Sebring.

You should come out in March to hang out and crew for our growing group B)

donstevens wrote:

[quote]I second what Gary said.

There is an SCCA race next week at Sebring. I don’t think there will be any spec e30 cars there but there may be an ITS E30 or two.

Don[/quote]

I tried to find mention of this on the Sebring website but I don’t see anything listed for the 20th & 21st. Would you show me a link of the schedule for the weekend?

Here you go:

http://66.235.178.17/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=pjqWI7jsInw%3D&tabid=1464&mid=2615

If that does not work for whatever reason search “SCCA CFR”

Don

Thanks! That worked! I couldn’t find that myself.

Rathbone wrote:

Rathbone -

If you are a dyed-in-the-wool E30 fan and like the prospects of the Spec E30 prep level, NASA is the clear choice. If you might end up racing something else, read on…

There are lots of groups that can get you on track. NASA and SCCA are the largest nationwide sanctioning bodies for non-marque-specific amateur (and limited professional) racing. You can also get on track for driver education and/or racing with the BMW CCA, Porsche Club of America, PBOC, and numerous “track day” operators.

NASA and SCCA are similar in that they both offer numerous classes that will cost $5k to $500k to get on track safely, legally and/or competitively (think rusty Honda Crapcan to ALMS-legal Ford GT). Both organizations require you demonstrate experience & schooling before you can go wheel-to-wheel racing.

SCCA is older and more steeped in tradition. That can be good and bad. It is heavily weighted toward wheel to wheel racing with very minimal DE opportunities.

NASA is a younger, more customer-service and technology friendly organization. The race groups at NASA events tend to have a wider variety of cars (and speed disparities) than SCCA (exception: SCCA’s ProIT series), but the entry fee costs tend to be lower in NASA (for racers at least). Due to the number of HPDE entrants at NASA events, the crowd tends to be less track-experienced, but more friendly (in my opinion).

Some folks cross over between the two. Some will only do one or the other. I have friends in both places and typically do races with whichever group fits my schedule.

All that is just my opinion. Go to an event, find a bunch of guys standing around after a race and ask them their opinions. Just watch out for the dude with the live possum and/or chicken. THAT only happens at NASA. And I love it for that.

Steve D.

Great observations. I came to the same conclusions too.
I spent months researching this when all I needed to do was to ask Steve! :frowning: :laugh: