Wheel Bearings

While racing at Gateway a few weeks ago, my right front wheel bearing developed a very loud growling noise during the Sunday race. The noise was only present when turning left, but made NASCAR turns 3 and 4 very uncomfortable. My front hubs are the Duralast variety from Autozone which I installed June 2010. Against my better judgement, I went cheap and they were only $59 a side. I’m planning to replace with either the OEM “FAG” bearings at $130 each but also considering the $89 Timken bearings.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Timken bearings? I’m curious what others are running both front and rear.

Wait wait, you bought them from Auto Zone? Don’t they have a limited lifetime warranty? Take them back and get new ones if so!

If not, make sure they go bad before the warranty is up.

[quote=“FishMan” post=65309]

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Timken bearings? I’m curious what others are running both front and rear.[/quote]

I went ahead and spent the extra bucks for the OEM fronts. Haven’t done the rears yet.

They only have a one year warranty. The Timken bearings have a three warranty.

[quote=“juliancates” post=65311]
I went ahead and spent the extra bucks for the OEM fronts. Haven’t done the rears yet.[/quote]

OEM as in from the dealer or FAG/Ruville OEM from a different source?

[quote=“FishMan” post=65315][quote=“juliancates” post=65311]

OEM as in from the dealer or FAG/Ruville OEM from a different source?[/quote]

As in FAG, sourced from BW. Believe they were $134 each. Of course, my decision at the time was influenced by the fact that they only had one of the aftermarket brand they carry in stock. But thinking back, I’m glad I went that way and would do it again.

They only have a one year warranty. The Timken bearings have a three warranty.[/quote]

Yeah, the Timken ones. I thought they were limited lifetime. They definitely are 3 year. Those were the ones I bought from Auto Zone.

I buy as much as I can from there, especially anything with a longer warranty period.

I also prefer to buy local. When those bearings do go bad, you can take them back to the local Auto Zone and get new ones, rather than have to pay shipping and all the packaging hassle. Plus, I haven’t had many great experiences with return shipping.

Have always used OEM FAG units; pretty decent life (replaced one this weekend just gone that had been in the car for 3-4 years). The higher quality OEM units also tend to give you lots of warning before a catastrophic failure.

My car came with FAGs of unknown age, and they definitely let me know that one was going bad in the front at Roebling last year. They had around 13 NASA weekends on them. Put a new set of FAGs back in. Would be nice to save some money next time if people find these other bearings to last as long.

So I apparantly killed another FAG front wheel bearing at my last race last season meaning they only lasted me about 1.5 years. I am now debating going back to Bimmerworld for them again or going with a cheaper solution. I see Turner sells some for $120 a pop but doesn’t mention which brand or should I just go with the cheaper ~$50 front wheel bearings?

1.5 years of how many races? That sounds pretty good to me. With cheaper brands, I went through two sets of front bearings in a 12 race season. I’d stick w/ the FAG brand and avoid the redundant labor cost.

I must not be going fast enough. 7 seasons of racing with 2 front bearing replacements so far. FAG FTW

Have you not seen my profile pic? I’m brutal on the bearings? :silly:

I was a bit surprised myself. I also went through cheap tie-rods at a similar rate. I have much better success w/ Lemforder parts.

I average 6 races a season so probably around 9 races in the 1.5 years. Most of them have been at MIR which has a fairly high speed right hand carousel that is probably what killed the bearing. I will probably go back with FAGs.

[quote=“FishMan” post=65309]While racing at Gateway a few weeks ago, my right front wheel bearing developed a very loud growling noise during the Sunday race. The noise was only present when turning left, but made NASCAR turns 3 and 4 very uncomfortable. My front hubs are the Duralast variety from Autozone which I installed June 2010. Against my better judgement, I went cheap and they were only $59 a side. I’m planning to replace with either the OEM “FAG” bearings at $130 each but also considering the $89 Timken bearings.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Timken bearings? I’m curious what others are running both front and rear.[/quote]

So I ordered the Timkens from Autozone.com and they came in a Timken box but actually had a FAG bearing installed in the hub. Well worth the $89 and 3 year warranty.

I seem to be destroying front left wheel bearings at a quick pace. I’ve been using the Pex brand from AutohausAZ.com ($57.87) I didn’t have much of a problem while doing DE’s. Since I’ve been racing the car I have replaced the front left wheel bearing twice. Usually after about 3+ weekends I start to notice some play in the bearing. Front right is solid and there is no play. As a result of the slop in the bearing, brake pads on the front left have worn at a much quicker pace than the ones on the right :frowning: So is the consensus that the FAG brand is the way to go here?

I’ve been driving E30s on track for 10 years and only replaced two front bearings so far. Go with FAG.

Bringing this back to life, yet again…

FAG seems unavailable at my usual suspect places, but SKF is, and it’s in the same price range. I’ve not seen the brand before, though I’ll admit to not looking very closely. Is there any collective experience with these that you can share before I hit “Buy”?

SKG are fine as well. I believe they partnered w/ fag. So you’ll end up getting a fag bearing.

It’s a crap shoot, what is on the box or in the ad does not have a lot to do with what the bearing is. I have gotten FAG or Timken from autozone or advance auto…I have also gotten no-name.

I think SKF is a “good” brand but who knows where any of these are being made. If the price is really cheap it is a really cheap bearing. I keep a cheap bearing/hub in my spares for an emergency. The sure way is to buy one from BMW, I bet they come with a warranty also. I buy my front control arms from BMW, just not willing to take a chance there. On the other hand the quality of the cheap bearings is probably better than it was 5 or 6 years ago, I remember a time when it seemed someone was always changing hubs at the track.

Al