What's your tow rig?

ddavidv wrote:

[quote]lt1_man wrote:
Final tip: be sure to check the trailer’s ramp system. Mine came with ridiculously short ramps that won’t work…period. I’m having longer ones made so I can actually get the car on the trailer. :unsure:[/quote]

Good point. On my steel open trailer I have 8’ steel ramps that tuck in underneath, but they are very heavy. Long is good for low clearance, but I plan to upgrade to 8’ aluminum just to make that part of the job a little easier.

Diesel tq is a great thing, and they get better mileage towing a similar load with gas. But gas is slightly cheaper, at least here in Cali it is.

Age wrote:

[quote]ddavidv wrote:

[quote]lt1_man wrote:
Final tip: be sure to check the trailer’s ramp system. Mine came with ridiculously short ramps that won’t work…period. I’m having longer ones made so I can actually get the car on the trailer. :unsure:[/quote]
Good point. On my steel open trailer I have 8’ steel ramps that tuck in underneath, but they are very heavy. Long is good for low clearance, but I plan to upgrade to 8’ aluminum just to make that part of the job a little easier.[/quote]
I have bought a few ramps from these folks and I am sure you won’t be disappointed:

http://www.discountramps.com/

here’s the setup I purchased for my dyno:

and the setup for our big rig:

1994 GMC 2500 Diesel It has 300,000 miles on it and the trans is just starting to slip.
Pull the car with a tow dolly. I live in an Urban area and I just don’t have the room for a trailer.

I am trying to work out a Deal with the BAR down the street to let me park a trailer in their lot.

I traded my old Civic for the Truck.

In my Driveway and spilling on to the street
1987 325is - Race Car
1988 325is - Parts car turned Daily Driver
1994 Yamaha Motorcycle- Fun
1994 GMC Truck - Towing and Home Depot Runs
2003 Toyota Corolla - Wife’s Car
looking to add another.

You think My neighbors Like me?

Parking a trailer in front of my house was never an option. Wife and neighbors are quick to complain. I park my trailer at a local auto parts store. I put some big signs on the trailer to help hang on to the relationship.

Blacked out the guy in front of the trailer because he was looking all insufferably pleased with himself. Which is to say he looked like an idiot.

FWIW,
2005 Ford F150 extended cab (4.6l gas w/ towing package) - got it pretty cheap from Carmax. I asked my Carmax guy (ex-racer) to find me something to tow with. Trailer: homemade, not too pretty but serviceable & reliable steel monster I bought with the racecar. Alum ramps to help with the weight.
Kept my '88 Toyota as a daily driver; wife likes the PU for errands, buying furniture (ouch), etc.
–Fred

Anyone tow with a Dakota before? Would think of a V8 Dakota. My price range of anything is low, I worry about the safety of mid-90s trucks. I do a lot of driving with others in the car and I’m more concerned with passenger ratings than driver ratings.

Trucks are exempt from most of the safety standards required on cars. It’s pretty much impossible to ‘rate’ them as there really hasn’t been any testing done. If there is a SUV equivelent (in your case, the Durango) you may be able to compare them somehow.

I had to chuckle about the safety question…I’ll be towing with a 1965 Ford, unpadded dash, giant plastic steering wheel, etc. Anything from the 90s would be a padded cell compared to my truck. :slight_smile:

ddavidv wrote:

:laugh:

I would get something like that if I didn’t have to drive 400-500 miles a week with my girlfriend or nephews/nieces in the car.

Awesome looking 2001 Ford F-350 dually with 4wd on NASA/Racing Junk! It’s in VA and is only $15,500 or so!

BUY MORE THEN YOU THINK YOU NEED!

We started out with one car and a 18’ open trailer and within a year and a half we are up to two cars, a 44" gooseneck and a F-350! On the way we have put together a fleet of 18’ trailer, 28" enclosed, 35’ open, 44’ GN enclosed, 1999 Surbuban 2500, 94 F350, and 29’ motorhome!

BUY THE BIGGEST YOU CAN GET and BUY JUST ONCE!

jhall1957 wrote:

[quote]Awesome looking 2001 Ford F-350 dually with 4wd on NASA/Racing Junk! It’s in VA and is only $15,500 or so!

BUY MORE THEN YOU THINK YOU NEED!

We started out with one car and a 18’ open trailer and within a year and a half we are up to two cars, a 44" gooseneck and a F-350! On the way we have put together a fleet of 18’ trailer, 28" enclosed, 35’ open, 44’ GN enclosed, 1999 Surbuban 2500, 94 F350, and 29’ motorhome!

BUY THE BIGGEST YOU CAN GET and BUY JUST ONCE![/quote]

Sounds like a great truck, but my truck budget is around 4k or less.

2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD (with the 6.0L). I think it is perfect for towing my rig.

JeepinMatt wrote:

Yep. 98 Dakota SLT 4x4 club cab. 5.2L V8, heavy equipment package. Unfortunately this truck wasn’t ordered with a tow package, which included a lower final drive ratio. Mine has the 3.55.

I pull a 16’ open Bri-Mar trailer and a full load of tools & gear in the bed. GCW is just over 9000 lbs, which is the limit for this truck. I tow with overdrive turned off and it does OK, even in the hills around the Glen. But it’s not a monster - have to drop into second for steep passes.

Comfortable truck - perfect condition when I bought it three years ago. Does everything I need it to. I’ll be moving up when I go to a covered trailer.

I started towing with a ’97 Dodge Dakota 4X4 with 318 engine and tow package. Had the 3.55 rear. Just tow with OD off. I towed an 18’ open trailer steel with wood deck. I moved up to a ’03 Dodge Ram 4X4 quad cab with hemi and 3.92 rear. It towed the open trailer great! I them moved to a 30’ enclosed trailer towing with the Ram. It towed the trailer fine but had to get a Hensley Hitch for sway. At around 100K miles the diff went in the truck. Both of these trucks were/are my company trucks I drove every day. The Dakota has been handed down the latter with 235K miles and I still have the Ram with around 130K miles.

After the diff problems I purchased a ’97 Ford E350 Van with V-10 as a theft recovery for $2700 on Ebay. After shocks, brakes, tires, and misc. repairs I have about $5K invested. I need to add a rear sway bar but otherwise it tows the open trailer fine. I can tell the difference with the added weight and brakes. The van is a dedicated tow vehicle and has found more uses then one could imagine. I can hold 12 people and gear, when the family is in town we can all go to dinner in the same vehicle. I can haul the baseball team around if need be, it is just an all around great big fun van. I may even start my own church or cult.

Anyway, give them a look as vans are cheap.

Also, we debated this at the track this weekend but I always tow with OD off. As such even the Dodge transmissions have lasted.

Good Luck.

Michael
Great Lakes Region

I guess since the price of oil pointed itself towards the sky and engaged its afterburners, full size trucks have dropped in value big time. Even compared to earlier this year. This winter when I was looking, I was limited to mid-late 90s trucks. Now I can find several nearby for the same price, except they’re '02-'04. I’ll think of something.

2003 Ford Lightning F-150 (Supercharged 5.4L V-8) pulling a 16 ft steel open trailer. I’ve towed an E30 race car, Spec Miata, and a Honda Civic without any issues. Short wheelbase makes maneuvering easy. Plenty of power. Useful and fun when not towing. Contrary to what some people say, the Lightning makes a crappy track car (I tried!) but is a decent dragster. :silly:

I’ll probably have to get an open one at first, but the idea of the added security is a huge plus for me.

It will work. Depending on how big and heavy your trailer is. It is not the ideal situation. You will end up carrying a lot more then you can imagine. My Ram did it but the diff went south (at 100K miles).

I got my enclosed due to the fact that just about half the time I was at the track it would rain, or be cold. It makes a nice living room and bedroom when needed.

If you go enclosed, make sure you get the bigger axles. 5200# at least.

Michael
Great Lakes Region