Whats the easiest way to empty gas tank on an 87?

I’m going to swap the 55L tank for a 63L tank. What is the easiest way to drain the tank? I’m thinking that there is a fuel line under the hood I can pull off and pump into a gas can, but I need to activate the fuel pump, too. How do I activate the fuel pump? I don’t want to pull the crossover tube and try to drain it, as I don’t have a big pan to catch it all in.

Thanks in advance.

Remove the plug on the bottom right side of the tank and let it drain. If the cross over tube isn’t plugged all of the fuel will drain out. As a check for a plugged cross over tube, take it off after the drain.

I would never question the master of course but i have heard there is risk of damaging that plug. Jim is that not a concern?

It isn’t unusual to strip the hex socket in the plug, in which case vise grips will work. A replacement plug is part 07119919112. So it matters not if the plug gets damaged.

An alternative to removing the plug, which works on a 55 or 63L tank is to pull the pump (and left side sensor on a 63L tank) and siphon out the fuel.

Thank you master. Btw u think u will make barber?

Drive around the block until you run out of fuel!

The Bentley manual has a procedure for checking the fuel pump flow that should work to disconnect the hose from the fuel pressure regulator and run a hose into a fuel jug.

[quote=“King Tut” post=75521]The Bentley manual has a procedure for checking the fuel pump flow that should work to disconnect the hose from the fuel pressure regulator and run a hose into a fuel jug.[/quote] This is what I did also. Just take care you don’t run your pumps more than a couple seconds dry. The high pressure pump will over-heat and die.

I didn’t realize there was some plug underneath. That sounds like a good solution too.

After Scott’s info on the baffle hole getting plugged, I’m tempted to drain mine and see what the inside looks like.