What track spares to pack?

Hello everyone!

I made the jump. I sold my 350z track car, bought a used truck and bought a Spec e30 out of the South East.

I’m fairly new to the car and I trying to figure out what important spares should be in my tool bin?

I have spare pads, rotors, wheels/tires, and even CV boots.

Thanks for the help!

brett

This thread (http://spece30.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,94/func,view/id,27687/catid,3/) is a combination of build suggestions and spares list.

Where are you located? You mentioned a Southeast car. I race in the SE. We may be mediocre, but we bring lots of spares. :wink:

Steve D.

I am in Virginia and run with Mid-Atlantic. I am going to continue to instruct for the rest of the year and go for my comp liscense in 2010.

OK. Then add lots of fenders to your spares list. :wink: Just kidding. They’re good folks up there, too.

Steve D.

The ultimate in spares is a spare car!

My set of spares includes:

DME
AFM
CPS
Coil
Plugs
Transfer and high pressure fuel pump
Fuel filter
Oil filter
Double threaded bolt to allow removal of the oil filter adapter
Lug nuts and a couple of studs.
Pads and rotors

While I’ve not needed any of those so far, at one point or another each of those has been used to fix other cars.

So far we’ve not needed the slightly worn tie rods of water pump that is in the spare box.

jlevie wrote:

[quote]The ultimate in spares is a spare car!

My set of spares includes:

DME
AFM
CPS
Coil
Plugs
Transfer and high pressure fuel pump
Fuel filter
Oil filter
Double threaded bolt to allow removal of the oil filter adapter
Lug nuts and a couple of studs.
Pads and rotors

While I’ve not needed any of those so far, at one point or another each of those has been used to fix other cars.

So far we’ve not needed the slightly worn tie rods of water pump that is in the spare box.[/quote]

Thanks for the help, but I’m a little ignorant to some of the abreviations.

Can I get the long version of the first three? :slight_smile:

CPS= Crank position sensor?

DME = damn motor electronics (or something) = ECU = engine control unit
You will want a model number 153 or 173. Spares are cheap ($50-75) and handy to have at the dyno to swap out. Some just work better than others.

AFM = Air flow meter (between filter and intake)
Same here. Some AFMs get worn where the arm sweeps on the contact medium, which creates an inconsistent signal to the DME.

Steve D.

According to my experience, belts, hoses, cables, spark plugs and a damn distributor cap/rotor, along with all the necessary tools to do ALL the jobs, even the fan clutch wrench or similar.
My first racing weekend, during the second practice car started misfiring, who would’ve thought after installing everything new, Bosch brand name, from Germany, the distributor rotor and cap will fail after only 30 miles of driving? I replaced them with Autozone brand over two years ago, and haven’t had a problem ever since, but I still carry an extra set, just in case.

Steve D wrote:

You can open up the AFM and adjust the arm in our out to avoid the groove and get on new material. I found it in some Porsche 944 docs, since they use the same AFM. This helped my LeMons car out noticeably.

Add to the list:

Brake light switch.

I have been carrying one since I started tracking my e30. This past weekend, when I was HPDE-ing it @ Putnam, one of the Spec E30 guys needed it. $10 switch - without it, they would have lost much, if not all of their time on Saturday, at least.

I have already ordered another one. You never know . . .

Are you close to DC/Baltimore? I just relocated and would like to start making new contacts. In the (slow) process of getting my car up to SpecE30…

pkaia wrote:

I am in Virginia Beach.

Since you are close to Summit Point you should head out to Hyper Fest next month. It’s the 20th and 21st. I’ll be there shacking down my car and hopefully not fixing too much. Plus there will be plenty of other Spec e30’s out there.

Steve D wrote:

[quote]DME = damn motor electronics (or something) = ECU = engine control unit
You will want a model number 153 or 173. Spares are cheap ($50-75) and handy to have at the dyno to swap out. Some just work better than others.

AFM = Air flow meter (between filter and intake)
Same here. Some AFMs get worn where the arm sweeps on the contact medium, which creates an inconsistent signal to the DME.

Steve D.[/quote]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E30-173-DME-Motronic-Injection-Brain-325ix-325ic_W0QQitemZ370148784292QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item562e9638a4&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1205|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Would this work for my 87 325is?

Yes

153s have some issues - early software. A 173 is a good bet. Some of the others have top speed limiters. IIRC the 500 series. You can see all compatibile DMEs at this link
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-DME-Repair/E36-DME-Repair.htm
Ed

I am in the Baltimore area and working my way through HPDE and trying (slowly) to finish the car. If anyone in the area needs help or feels like helping, let me know.

Jason

My spares kit includes (but is not limited to):
Fuel Filter (BOSCH F5030)
OIl Filter (KN HP-2005)
Air Filter Cleaning Kit (BMC)
Drive Belt (Bosch 11A0965)
Timing Belt (OEM)
Timing Belt Tensioner (OEM)
Set of radiator hoses (OEM)
Water Pump, gasket & bolts (Hepu)
Tie rod end
Control Arms (L&R)
Clutch Kit (LUK)
Brake Discs (DBA Slotted, ROADED - this is the most important thing!!!)
Brake Pads (PFC06, again, ROADED)
Nuts, bolts, washers, BMW special fasteners etc

Lubricants:
Engine OIl
Gearbox OIl
Diff Oil
Coolant Concentrate
Spray Paint
Brake Cleaner
Carby Cleaner
Brake Fluid
Rags, towels and emery paper etc.

Now when I buy replacement parts, I get at least 2 (depending on cost/chance of breaking), just in case. I race with one or two other guys who run E30s, so we’re able to share and share alike.