What Kind of Oil Cooler Are You Using?

Taking a trip down to Korman to discuss a cage, take a look at the engine and get some stuff. My car needs an oil cooler and I’m looking particularly at Korman’s. Even though I’ve heard someone mention that remote oil filter mounts are illegal, from what I can tell it’s perfectly allowed in the rulebook. A lot of money for a remote mounted one, especially Korman’s Competition oil cooler, but better than blowing up the engine. Just don’t know if the jump in price from the “standard” kit to the competition is worth it. And since we’re on the topic, what have people done about oil starvation? 3qt Accusump and an oil pan baffle? I’ve found baffles from Factory 3, Ireland Engineering and Carr.

I put on a crank scraper from Ishihara Johnson - no issues with oil starvation.

My oil temps seem very good - is there a problem with the stock oil cooler setup? As our cars don’t make big horsepower, I haven’t seen the need. Do update the little part in the bottom of the oil filter/input and output to the factory cooler. There is a BMW repair kit that keeps it from leaking. Pain to replace, but worth it.

Heading to Korman next week, before I go on vacation. Would appreciate any advice on what to get/whether to get anything.

Can you ask to look at their Rocker Arms? They mention them on their site. I’d like to know - after you look at them, if you think they are worth it, and legal. I cracked a pair a while ago - replaced them with dealer ones - just looking if their option is viable. Thanks!

jblack wrote:

Sure. I’m going over to look at rebuilding my engine. Not for power issues, but reliability. 180k miles might not be a whole lot compared to some other cars on here, but I’d rather have the peace of mind

Thanks Matt - I know there is a lot of history over there. We expect a “What I did on my summer vacation” report. I hope it is interesting!

JeepinMatt wrote:

Well, in the Southeast at least, a bunch of the “old” motors have since bit the dust. It’s not a bad idea in my opinion.

I have the stock oil cooler. During HPDEs I was losing oil pressure in long left handers. I installed an Ishihara Johnson crank scraper and a new oil pump and have not had any issues since. 232k on the odometer. Not too difficult and great results.

erik