What is reasonable cage price?

I’m at the point where I am considering my options for my cage. I was figuring a typical cage build and install would run between $2-$3K depending on who did it and what I wanted done. I’ve gotten a few quotes but they range dramatically. One builder quoted me $1,800 and another quoted me nearly $6,000! Both are reputable builders and both have a history building PRO3/SpecE30 cages in the Northwest. What did you pay and what do you think is reasonable? I’m looking at an 8pt cage with NASCAR driver side door bars, X-brace on passenger side, dash removal and install, sunroof welded in, harness bar, diagonal roof brace, X-brace behind seat and footwell protection on driver side as well as gusseting of the windshield bar. Pretty standard stuff. I should also note the high-end quote also included reinforced seat belt mounts (4), window net and center net attachment points.

$6k is really high and $1800 is really low. My weld in kit from EGR cost &1200 plus $1000 to have it installed. My advice is spend in the $2.5-3.5 range and don’t pick a builder until you are comfortable that he understands exactly what you want. If that guy happens to be the most expensive in your area bite the bullet.

Do it once and do it right, trust me cutting a cage out because you skimped and got a sub par cage sucks(ask me how I know :frowning: ). When it was all said and done my cage cost more than most custom jobs around the paddock in the SE because I did it twice.

In 2008 I had a custom cage built at a great builder in Atlanta. It cost $1800 in labor and I think another $400 or so in materials. $2200 total. Great cage, did whatever I wanted within reason and had it done within a couple of weeks.

From all the research I did before I started, this was on the low-mid range on cost in my area. $6000 definitely seems very high for a standard cage.

• The other thing is that there may not be many builders which is going to push prices up. In the SE we have a lot of good options so builders have to be competitive.

Seems like the Kirk Racing cages are around $1800, but you have more than just a cage install listed such as dash removal and sunroof welded in.

I bought an autopower u-weld cage from ioport for around 800. I planned on my cousin installing it in my turbo car since he is an experienced welder. It never got done so now I am going to weld it into the se30 myself. Tig seams to be a totally different animal than mig so I haven’t had the guts to put torch to cage yet.

My first car had a basic Kirk cage kit that we welded in. The kit was $1200 and installation was another $400. I provided a lot of the labor and paid for the help of an experienced car builder. For my second car I had a full up Kirk cage (NASCAR door bars, foot protection, rear X brace, & dash bar) installed in the car for $1800 by Mark (owner of Kirk Racing). When I took the car to Mark if was completely stripped, the dash was out, and the sunroof removed. Meaning that all of his labor went towards cage installation. There’s a fair bit of labor involved in getting the car ready for cage installation and doing the work yourself is a good way to drive down the cost of the cage.

Ok I just test fitted my autopower cage and I am thoroughly pissed off. Forward hoops are way to short on both ends and the diagonal part that follows the A pillar is to short. The 4 point roll bar fits fine so it might go in the turbo car if it doesn’t require sacrificing rear seats. I had planned on welding it myself but hoop bending is not something I can do.

I called the closest cage builder I found about 5 minutes ago. Competition cages in hillsborough, NC. Said he’s done 15 spece30s and can get started in July for 1800 to 2k. I think my 5k budget just went out the window.

Chris has done a bunch of e30’s…The weld in kits seem to vary, I have both an autopower and a Kirk, neither was optimal but with big as possible plates welded in 2 planes, straight dash bar and ankle bar I feel they are adaquate. If your forward pieces are too short, think about building footings that will raise it, welded into the rocker and floor. The footings will stiffen the cage a bunch.

If you cannot get your weld in kit to work PM me, I would be interested in it.

Al

Chris did all 3 of the BeerTech cars. Very happy with the build quality, but his timing and turn around were not ideal. I suggest you check with Sam Neave… his attention to detail is unmatched from what I’ve seen. And I think his prices are better. if I were to do it again, that’s who i’d have build my cage

That’s right, Sam did Canterbury’s cage, he is south of Greensboro and does great work…

Al

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of figured I had when I had budgeted $2-$3K for a cage build and install that was about right. That sounds like it’s the case. There is a good selection of experienced builders up this way and I’ll be contacting a few more. I’ll also follow up with the high estimate builder. It will be interesting to hear how he justifies the cost. It helps to hear from other experiences before pulling the trigger. Definitely don’t want to skimp on safety, but also need to make smart and well informed decision.

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of figured I had when I had budgeted $2-$3K for a cage build and install that was about right. That sounds like it’s the case. There is a good selection of experienced builders up this way and I’ll be contacting a few more. I’ll also follow up with the high estimate builder. It will be interesting to hear how he justifies the cost. It helps to hear from other experiences before pulling the trigger. Definitely don’t want to skimp on safety, but also need to make smart and well informed decision.

MY rule of thumb is, good labor should be equal to value of item installed, whenever is a swap and you don’t need to remove half engine to install a bolt, ok?
I paid 1,200 for the pre fab cage and 1,500 labor, I added extra tubes for 300 including labor, $3k sounded fair. This cage “expert” in town wanted $6k for labor ONLY.

I build cages in central Florida/Orlando. I get approximately 1800 for a complete cage, Nascar bars etc. included if the car is pretty stripped (windshield out,dash is loose) Usual turn around is about a week. 6K is absolutely ridiculous!! You can buy a complete Howe late model chassis for 4K!! I haven’t, as of yet, built an E30 cage. But I just picked up a 318i for SCCA ITB so I will have one built in a few weeks. I have pics of various builds on my website. Please call me and lets talk! The barter system is alive and well also! I’m not stuck on “my” design and will work with you on your particular set up!!
Chris Leone
ChrisLeoneMotorsports.com

:ohmy: The prices I am seeing in this discussion are, in my opinion, completely out of the realm of reality. I have been building race cars for the better part of 35 years and have NEVER heard of any one paying as much as $6000 for a roll cage! I have built entire NASCAR style chassis that didn’t come close to costing that much. If the car is ready to accept the cage on arrival and if I had a spec. sheet that listed the requirements for the cage as well as any additional wants I could build a top of the line custom fit cage for much less. There are things that need to be considered however such as type of material used, any brackets such as seat and seat belts, fuel cell, window nets, pedal mounts, fire suppression system mounts, custom suspension mounts, safety door plates, any sheet metal work, etc. I should also mention that there is really no reason to TIG weld the cage, mig welding does fine as long as it’s done correctly. A good rule of thumb is that time is money, the more time that is spent, the more money that is spent. I am located in Bakersfield, Ca. and the shops in this area get $55-$80 an hour for labor. My rate is $55 because I have very little overhead and like to keep people happy. If anyone is in this area and would like to discuss such a project my contact info. is: Steve Pounds, Deuces Wild Custom Fabrication, (661)889-7949. Thanks and Good Luck!