What did your cage cost?

I’d like a reality check on the cost for having a custom cage welded into the car. Unfortunately, since I’m still making the transition from DE/street car to full on race car, I had to have the cage done in two steps. The rear half plus halo was done first, and now the front half has been quoted. The total cost for all the work is ~$3300. This included removal and reinstall of the dash and seats and all the materials and labor. It’s a nice cage, I don’t doubt that, but am I getting hosed on the price?

O.S. -

My cage by Robinson was $3400 including a welded seat mount for my sliders and welding some tabs for my sunroof panel. But they started with a totally stripped car. The cage is structurally and aesthetically a work of art. They do really nice stuff. But that’s a lot of American dollars.

Steve D.

As I recall, my Kirk Racing cage (the same design as used in the GRM Spec e30) ran $1100. Installation was another $600 with myself doing part of the work, so $1700 total. Again from memory, I recall the GRM car’s cage cost as being $1800 as installed by Kirk racing.

Wow.

Our cages cost us around $1800 each. Granted, this was in 2007 and we did all of the stripping and reinstalling of the dash plus we painted the cage once installed. This price also included welding the tabs onto our sunroofs and putting the panels back in.

We “designed” our own cages and then had them fabbed up by Chris Schimmel. http://www.competitioncages.com/

I am very happy with how mine turned out.

Brian

In 2005 ours was $1,800 and included:

• NASCAR curved door beams
  • Behind the dash bar with defroster still working
  • Gutting the sunroof and welding tabs
  • Mounting the seat to the cage

It has received a lot of positive comments and have send numerous other racers his way. The builder is near Asheboro, NC

Keith

[size=5][color=#FF0000]One Million Dollars[/color] [/size]
[size=5][/size]

Naw, actually it was $1800.

prices are going to vary by the cost of the material (has varied over time), by the location (overhead) and experience of the builder, by the fit to the interior, by the number of bars bent and installed, etc.
bruce

Ahhh, where do you live and people in the area can chime-in with local recommendations. If it is your first car build you need to seriously think about your skill versus the wiring mess that goes along with dash removal…See “local recommendations” and find a spec e30 racer/mentor in your area. Buy them a beer and follow their proven path.

Regards, robert Patton

I’m in the Northeast…

But my problem is that I’ve already had half the cage done by this guy (excellent work and he’s the SCCA safety scrutineer). I don’t know that I could ask another cage builder to “finish the job”. I knew it would be pricey, just didn’t expect over 3 grand. I know I could pull the dash and replace it afterwards, and based on his quote that would save me hundreds of dollars. Same goes for removing and reinstalling the seats. I’ll be painting, reinstalling the harnesses, and adding the padding myself anyways.

I have a spreadsheet if there is some way to attach it for you folks to look at if that would be helpful.

Jones wrote:

[quote]Wow.

Our cages cost us around $1800 each. Granted, this was in 2007 and we did all of the stripping and reinstalling of the dash plus we painted the cage once installed. This price also included welding the tabs onto our sunroofs and putting the panels back in.

We “designed” our own cages and then had them fabbed up by Chris Schimmel. http://www.competitioncages.com/

I am very happy with how mine turned out.

Brian[/quote]

I don’t remember what I did differently but mine was $1600 :huh:

I just had mine done for 2300. Material was 1.75 X .095 DOM - Mig Welded (tig would be about 1k more). X’s in both doors, footwell protection, dash bar, X in back running to both towers. Some gussets and a mount for the electrical switch. Tabs on the sunroof also. Work was done by a professional shop in Miami.

I asked what made the price of the cage so high, his breakdown of costs show more money than I had expected to remove and reinstall the dash and to do the whole sunroof deal. Over $500 in that work alone. So, the cage itself is only $2800 for mat’l and labor.

I just purchased a complete cage kit with all of the options from Evil Genius racing for $1060 plus shipping.
The kit includes foot protection, NASCAR bars, roof bar, and gussets.
I stripped the car myself and installed the seat. The car is at a shop having the kit put in right now.

Sam Neave at LNA Enterprises in N.C. quoted me $1200 for a cage with NASCAR bars and a dash bar. He came highly recommended and did really good work.

Like you, I’m working my way up through HPDEs so I just had him do a bar for now. He did a 4 point bar, mounted my seat and welded in the sunroof skin for less just under $600. Not sure whether the $1200 price included him removing the dash or me doing it.

Mine was about $2,200 by Mark McMahan (www.rollcageguy.com) in late 2007. Included sunroof tack, removal and re-install of dash, window and side net and paint. Nice work. good value.

Can anyone suggest a cage builder in the NJ area? Looking to take my bolt in out after the DE season and have the complete cage done. All leads appreciated.

Here is a thread I stated a while back,
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=23593

From my research a cage in NJ is gonna run you $3000+, Even in this down economy.

I called a local guy that specializes in race alignments/setup and he said he was booked one and half months out and I thought he would be hurting with all the doom and gloom out there.

Thanks for the link to your other posts. I am going to contact Deerson in South River. I work in Cranbury so its practically next door.

also try paul Poore, he has done several for us. great job and reasonable

267-374-8365

he has a lot of knowledge on E30’s

Hi guys,
I’m new here. But have been building cages for a while. I get $2000 for a IT/spec e30 legal cage. NASCAR bars, removable petty bar( if You want). Bring me a car with little to no interior I’ll take care of dash and doors. You paint it!
Chris Leone
407. four six three 0 3 1 two
I’m in the Orlando area.