What colour to paint the engine bay?

I’m getting my motor rebuilt and while the engine bay is empty my mechanic suggested it would be a good idea to steam clean and paint the engine bay. He was going to paint it matt black, but after I thought about it, it seemed that white might be a better colour to increase visibility while working on the engine. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Andy

Mine is silver. A light color really helps with visibility under the hood, tracing leaks, etc.

I like silver also and use Eastwood’s Ceramic Aluminum Engine paint.

I told my brother I wanted my new block gloss white. The engine bay will also get painted white. Hopefully this will make everything easier to keep clean and make oil drips more visible.

i Personally am a fan of matching colors, i.e. engine bay same as car, but for a race car i would agree that White would be the best color in the engine bay.

The outside of my car is already flat white. Engine bay is currently delphin.

Yeah grey, glossy white or Silver all work nicely to find leaks, tools and spot dangling crap.

Thanks for all the input. The car is silver, so I will have him paint the inside the same colour.

[attachment=1731]169.JPG[/attachment]
this is what I did during the holidays. Note the crisp lines due to the lack of seam sealer. Don’t do it. It wasn’t worth the effort I put into it.

That’s fabulous. But I shudder at the amount of work required to pull everything out of the bay, clean and abrade the old paint, spray, and then reinstall everything.

[quote=“turbo329is” post=62296][attachment=1731]169.JPG[/attachment]
this is what I did during the holidays. Note the crisp lines due to the lack of seam sealer. Don’t do it. It wasn’t worth the effort I put into it.[/quote]

Damn! And you’re making fun of the effort I’m puting into the exterior of my car!

I found a lot of rust in the seams and a hole under the passenger side brake line mount. Had to patch them.

[attachment=1734]179.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1735]170.JPG[/attachment]

Didn’t just abrade the paint I removed it. Took 6 cans of aerosol aircraft coating remover and a dozen wire wheels.

Didn’t just abrade the paint I removed it. Took 6 cans of aerosol aircraft coating remover and a dozen wire wheels.[/quote]

Yah, but the aerosol aircraft coating remover was for recreational use, so that doesn’t count. :woohoo: