Water piping

I’m piecing a car together. I have no water piping at all. I’m ordering the tubes from Pelican. I’m not going to run the heater or the throttle body lines. My only real question is about tube #13. It connects to the stat housing and the expansion tank. Where does it T off to? Do I plug it where it T’s or run a generic tube and do away with the oem tube? This one tube is gonna cost $50. Thanks

Ray Prato
Raypratojr@gmail.com
[attachment=1998]7.png[/attachment]

I’m very familiar with early but less so late. I think it T’s to the heater so I’d run a straight hose to the overflow tank. There’s a lot of ways to skin this cat. I’ve been running a hybrid early/late coolant system for years.

Reference part 13, cut just after the tee (opposite the thermostat housing connection) and plug with 1" brass Pex plug with hose clamp. Look at Home Depot in the plumbing section for Pex plug.

Ranger, how do you have yours set up? My car is an '85 chassis, and I have the early eta water pump/radiator/overflow set up.

I had a water leak where the housing mates to the head. To make a long story short I had to break the housing off to replace the gasket. The replacement housing has a much larger port on the bottom. The port I’m referring to feeds the throttle body. Previously I had a hose leaving this fitting and going directly to the back of the block on the drivers side. Can this fitting on the bottom of the housing and the fitting at the rear of the block on the drivers side be capped off? Or do I need coolant flow from the back of the block? Originally, this water circuit would’ve fed the throttle body.

Also, the new housing has two threaded holes in the top of it, where the original had none. These I’m assuming should be plugged. I’m not sure of the thread size. Maybe for gauges?

Ray

[quote=“Rayprato” post=76745]I had a water leak where the housing mates to the head. To make a long story short I had to break the housing off to replace the gasket. The replacement housing has a much larger port on the bottom. The port I’m referring to feeds the throttle body. Previously I had a hose leaving this fitting and going directly to the back of the block on the drivers side. Can this fitting on the bottom of the housing and the fitting at the rear of the block on the drivers side be capped off? Or do I need coolant flow from the back of the block? Originally, this water circuit would’ve fed the throttle body.

Also, the new housing has two threaded holes in the top of it, where the original had none. These I’m assuming should be plugged. I’m not sure of the thread size. Maybe for gauges?

Ray[/quote]

The hoses to the throttle body can be capped off. Their purpose was to warm the tbody during cold weather operation. The port that goes into the block, 12mm, is the perfect place for a coolant pressure switch. You can use the OEM oil pressure switch, it’s also 12mm and the 7psi threshold works fine.

The ports on top of the thermostat housing have to be capped. It sounds like your caps might be missing. 14mm. That’s a good place for a coolant temp sensor tho. Get a 14mm to 1/8NPT adapter.

[quote=“Ranger” post=76746] The port that goes into the block, 12mm, is the perfect place for a coolant pressure switch. You can use the OEM oil pressure switch, it’s also 12mm and the 7psi threshold works fine.

[/quote]

Awesome idea! As a guageaholic I will be adding that one ASAP.