VIR Race Results

How was the racing this past weekend?

RP

i wrote a 1000 word essay

http://cerient.net/photos/spec_e30/vir_speeds_anon.jpg

[quote=“jtower” post=58617]i wrote a 1000 word essay

http://cerient.net/photos/spec_e30/vir_speeds_anon.jpg[/quote]The car shown by the blue line beat you with superior racecraft. :wink:

Jason, the pedal all the way on the right is the gas. Try using it more next time!

Did the valve adjustment help?

[quote=“Steve D” post=58618][quote=“jtower” post=58617]i wrote a 1000 word essay

http://cerient.net/photos/spec_e30/vir_speeds_anon.jpg[/quote]The car shown by the blue line beat you with superior racecraft. ;)[/quote]
as a buckeye losing to blue is devastating :slight_smile:

i didn’t drive my best this weekend that’s for sure, speed was obviously down but i didn’t adjust my braking enough and overslowed for turns which only made things worse.

props to the beastie boys (mike d and the rob g’s) for being fast as hell, and to brandon for taking pole on sat in his first race of the year. couple of new guys in the drivegear cars did well too, one had never been to vir and the other had never driven rwd. virgil’s air conditioned trailer was a godsend, and the ribs he brought were phenomenal.

video of the rain race (first few laps, after that it was pretty boring): http://vimeo.com/26852464

+1 to Rick. Those ribs were tasty. The beans, not so much :woohoo:

[quote=“Rob in VA” post=58622]+1 to Rick. Those ribs were tasty. The beans, not so much :woohoo:[/quote]Those weren’t beans.

Saturday I qualified in 4th. The top five cars were all in the 2:21s.
The race started wet and then a dry line developed. After going off in Southbend, I finished one position behind, 5th place. Sunday I qualified in 1st and finished in 2nd. Han an awesome battle with Davidson/Grace. Davidson took 1st and Grace 3rd.

My video from Saturday - http://youtu.be/gxpW9TnDK4s

Sunday’s video didn’t work due to the heat because my recorder froze up.

It was good to see everyone again and also see some new faces. I had a great time racing both days. Thanks for a fun a challenging race guys. Hope to see you all again soon.

Started the weekend off sitting on the comp school panel with MikeD and Carter. I think I learned as much about racing as the guys going through the school!

I had a great race on Sunday with Ed Davidson and Richard Cofer. The three of us were bumper to bumper for the first 5 or 6 laps. During that time I had my fastest lap of the weekend which was more than 3 seconds faster than my previous best. I also confirmed that my car is severely lacking straight away talent!! I would get a run on Richard out of oak tree and tuck in real nice for a draft just to watch him pull 4 car lengths on me down the back straight. Unfortunately I forgot to start the video camera!!

Many thanks to Andrew Zimmerman for supplying the parts to get my Dad’s car fixed!!

Also many thanks to everyone that spun, without you I would have finished dead last both days B)

Greg

[quote=“87isMan” post=58650]Started the weekend off sitting on the comp school panel with MikeD and Carter. I think I learned as much about racing as the guys going through the school!

Greg[/quote]

Comp school is always a good time, it was nice meeting you. Sounds like you had a good time! VIR is definitely one of my favorite tracks.

Great to see everyone this weekend! A big thanks to DriveGear and Rick Virgilio Marini for providing A/C and all you can eat Ribs! We had a large field with a lot of fast cars and faster drivers. Great to see Brandon Hey back in the paddock, after taking nine months off to sort out the car they guy comes back as if he never left and sets Pole for Saturday’s race. Congratulations! You really showed everyone that you are back and in it to win it. Shortly before race time it got pretty dark and very windy, we dropped the EZ-ups and waited for the storm. After a lightening delay it was time to race. It started raining a little bit before the race, then a little more, and eventually broke into a solid rain. As I sat there on grid watching the spray coming off the cars going down the front straight I saw the Pole sitter, Brandon Hey, bolting on rain tires. He was the only one in the field (to my knowledge) to have on wets. On the warm-up lap I was thinking it was a good call. Brandon led us to the green with Mike D. in the second spot, me in the third, Gagliardo fourth, and Skip in fifth. Great driving by the entire field to make it through the first couple laps without incident. Brandon led most of the first lap until getting sideways in hog-pen. I took the lead and went on to pull out a decent gap and win the race. Mike D. finished second, Brandon Hey third. I had a blast driving in the changing conditions, the race started very wet but got progressively better from the second lap on. Set the fastest lap by a little over 2 seconds. A Happy Birthday for my Dad.

Pretty good video from Saturday: http://youtu.be/ytg7pWw8pAM

Saturday night brought the usual OG awards party and then a great rib-fest in the E30 paddock.

Sunday was equally hot I felt. Qualifying was uneventful but pretty fast I thought. Gagliardo, who has really stepped up his game, was right on me the entire session. I didn’t know what row we would be starting on but I knew that we would be starting right next to each other. Sure enough, we were. Gagliardo got a well earned (and first ever) Pole position with a 2.19.856 while I got P2 with a 2.19.868. Yeah, that’s pretty close. Grid was Gagliardo, Grace, Davidson, Bennett.
I got a nice bump at the start from Skip and took the lead in T1. There was a lot of traffic, of course always in the worst spots. Long story short I had a near incident in T1 with an optimistic E30 and fell back to P5. I worked my way back to Rob and Mike who were having a great battle…got in the mix a bit but ended up P3 after an eventful race. Congrats to Mike D. for the win and Rob Gagliardo for some great racing.

Sunday Video: http://youtu.be/4dVoFGwSJmo

[quote=“MikeD” post=58653][quote=“87isMan” post=58650]Started the weekend off sitting on the comp school panel with MikeD and Carter. I think I learned as much about racing as the guys going through the school!

Greg[/quote]

Comp school is always a good time, it was nice meeting you. Sounds like you had a good time! VIR is definitely one of my favorite tracks.[/quote]

I can definitely see why! VIR has everything you want, the tight technical turns, high speed sweepers and long fast straights. It really is an awesome track to race on, definitely now one of my favorites. I think Pops and I have decided to make another trip in October to take the instructor 3 class.

Greg,

Enjoyed the race on Sunday as well. My off in 1 was exciting and sorry I missed a few more laps bumper to bumper with you guys. Looking forward to October.

Ed

Wow what a weekend! After a long break that felt like it was never going to end, I finally made it out to VIR to race with everyone again. I signed up for test and tune on Friday but only got one session in due to some mechanical problems. With the help of my dad and Carr Industries, I got the problem fixed and was ready for a very hot race weekend. In qualifying, I got lucky and ended up behind grace, thinking I would only see the orange e30 for a few seconds. I was surprised when we stayed together for most of qualifying. As the results came back from the session I was surprised to see my name as p1 for spece30. Once the race came, the skies darkened and it started to rain. I looked at the radar and it looked to be a big long storm so I went with rains. After the out lap, it started to dry up and rains were not the ideal tire to be on. I got a little loose coming out of hog pin and Grace and Davidson got a good run and passed me going into turn one.

In qualifying on Sunday, I only got my out lap counted. On my second lap as I was coming down the back straight, I heard a crunch and grinding after shifting into fourth and immediately turned everything off and pulled off track. Once I got back to the paddock, I noticed the same mechanical problem I had on Friday so I packed up the car and took it to Henry at The Power Plant to fix it and hopefully make it back in time for the race. Once getting to the shop about 40 minutes away from VIR, we quickly fixed the problem and loaded the car back up for VIR. When pulling the car on the trailer, I revved the engine again only to hear the same grinding noise. We discovered the noise was coming from the bell housing and quickly pulled the transmission only to find my pressure plate gave out, so no race on Sunday.

I had a great time out there with everyone this weekend and I look forward to Summit Point in August!

Brandon

Awesome job guys, Brandon awesome job for your first time in the rain Saturday. Sorry about your car on Sunday man I was looking forward to running with you. You’ve got a bright future, keep it up.

I saw some great driving this weekend. Nice job guys.

Sundays Race

I went back to 3rd going into 1 at 19:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxYu_0EX3wg

cheers,

Juice boy! Loved the video! You guys are tough racers! I hope I can get my car back running correctly and come race with you all. I will make sure not to do any body repair “before” I arrive.

Thanks for sharing the video

[quote=“the Shoe” post=58688]Juice boy! Loved the video! You guys are tough racers! I hope I can get my car back running correctly and come race with you all. I will make sure not to do any body repair “before” I arrive.

Thanks for sharing the video[/quote]

Shoe! Get that thing running and come out to Mid-O in September. Stir up the rest of those guys too…and yes, save the body work and paint job for after the season.