Valvoline VR1 Synthetic Race Oil 50% off

The Non Street Legal full synthetic race oil is supposed to be pretty good. I’ve not heard enough about the conventional VR1 to have an opinion on it, other then it’s supposed to have the ZDDP that we need.

http://classic.valvoline.com/qrz591dpoyu/step1.asp?rc=DE64D258D

i heard it’s on sale at autozone, gonna check when i run errands later today

That’s great to know. I use it all the time and actually just bought a case (separately). It seems very unlikely to be able to find two unmolested cases locally though. I had a hard enough time finding 6qts, let alone more.

All the stores I go to only have the non synthetic VR1. I have never actually seen a quart of synthetic VR1.

King Tut wrote:

same here - but the rebate is for either:
Purchase two cases of Valvoline’s VR1 Conventional or VR1 Synthetic Racing Oil and receive a rebate for the purchase
price of one case.

Hmm. I might have chosen my words poorly.

Non street legal full synthetic VR1 Race is good. Even tho the street legal non-synthetic has decent ZDDP, I would not assume that it is good. Without published high temp shear numbers, the non-synthetic could be complete crap and we wouldn’t know. Oil is not the place to save a few bucks.

I have run the non synthetic VR1 for the past year with great results. I really like the 60psi oil pressure above 4k when the oil temp is above 200F. Just the way BMW envisioned it. CB

Last night I got a case of full synthetic VR1 Race 20W50 at Autozone and the 50% discount was applied at the cash register. I assume that’s the Valvoline discount, but who knows. Maybe I can send the receipt to Valvoline and get it another 50% off.

I contacted Valvoline yesterday to get high temp shear #'s on their street legal VR1. That’s the cheap stuff. They said they’d get the info and email it to me. Maybe they will and maybe not.

I just got the high temp shear #'s from Valvoline and at 3.7 (both street legal and non), they are not good. Anyone want a case of full synthetic race? Shit.

This morning I replied to Valvoline’s email with words to the affect of …“3.7, WTF?”

They just emailed back. “oops, sorry, meant 4.8”. 4.8’s fine. Go buy some.

This is my experience as well. Both my Spec E30 and my turbo Porsche.

I called Autozone and they said the store only carries a non-synthetic version of VR1. Make sure you get the right one! Seems only O’Reily has the full synthetic version.

I bought a case of full synthetic at Autozone. My local OReilly does not carry VR1 at all. Store load-outs vary I guess.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/74002/race_vs_street_oil_and_lubricants_the_great_zinc_debate_continues.aspx

VR1 conventional vs. synthetic. I had thought that the synthetic was non-street legal. There is some consensus that the non-street legal version is particularly good. It turns out tho that there are actually 3 versions of VR1.
–Conventional, which has better high temp shear #'s then Mobil1 15W50 and is cheaper.
–Synthetic, which has the same high temp shear #'s but better high temp stability because it’s synthetic.
–Non Street Legal, which I now realize I’ve not seen in stores. It’s supposed to be quite good. The advantage of genuine race oils is less detergent. As long as you change your oil every 3-6 months or 15-20 track hours, you don’t need a bunch of detergent. And less detergent means more slippery stuff.

Ranger,
What’s your take on O’Reilly “full syntthetic”? Who makes it for O’Reilly.
In our neck of the woods they are offering 5qts+Mobil 1 oil filter for $17.99.

pass or play?

Thanks,

Steve Ferrario wrote:

[quote]Ranger,
What’s your take on O’Reilly “full syntthetic”? Who makes it for O’Reilly.
In our neck of the woods they are offering 5qts+Mobil 1 oil filter for $17.99.

pass or play?

Thanks,[/quote]
I don’t know anything about it. So I’d pass. If you want something inexpensive, go with VR1 conventional, or Brad Penn 20W50.

M1 oil filters do well in all the tests I’ve read.