Two questions

1. 9.3.1.8.6. The application or use of any painting, coating, plating, or impregnating substance (i.e. anti-friction, thermal barrier, oil shedding coatings, chrome, anodizing, etc.) to any internal engine surface, including intake manifolds, is prohibited.

Does this mean I can’t have paint or powercoat paint on my valve cover and intake manifold?

If so, I’m just wondering how come, since paint doesn’t really do anything besides clean up the engine bay.

1. The M42 has individual coils for each cylinder. Would it be legal to move to Coil Over Plug, instead of the individual coils with spark wires?
    Both provide the same function.

1. I think this is referring mostly to performance enhancing coatings (notice it says internal). I’m sure it would be fine to have your valve cover painted.

2. I would say this is not legal it is not mentioned in the rules therefore you can’t do it whether it is an improvement or not.

As always this is just my opinion and not an official rules clarification, but that is how I interpret it.

1. Internal is the key word.

2. No idea.

Simon is correct on 1. and 2.

And regardless of whether something functions the same or not, if it’s not specifically mentioned in the Rules, it must be left as it came from the factory.

And I would rather spend money on tires and brakes than on changing something, when a change doesn’t improve anything.

Keep it simple and you’ll finish more races and will finish higher in the field.

Carter