Transponder

Running TT at Road Atlanta so I need some advice on where to install my transponder.

TIA

Greg

I installed mine with an L bracket pointing down into the hole where the A/C dryer used to be. The hot side of the ignition coil is a good place to pick up power and the ground point on the shock tower is close by, which makes wiring it in easy.

Plenty of room in the trunk with easy access to the battery. :wink:

Gasman wrote:

But that location is advantageous only if you race at Road Atlanta and loop it through Turn 12 on the last lap. Otherwise, you lose by a car length every time.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Steve D.

jlevie wrote:

Thats a good idea, but is picking up power at the coil okay to do?

jlevie wrote:

I did mine the exact same way :cheer: It’s an easy installation.

Cheers,
Scott Neville
#44 NorCal SpecE30
www.norcalspece30.com

That circuit has excess capacity, so no fears in that regard. The paranoid will place a 1A fuse between the coil and transponder.

make sure you have good power to it, make sure you have a clear ‘view’ to the track and do not mount it too high up in the car or you will have problems because the signal isn’t all that strong.

jlevie wrote:

That circuit has excess capacity, so no fears in that regard. The paranoid will place a 1A fuse between the coil and transponder.[/quote]

Is the fuse a good idea, I don’t want it to blow keeping me from getting scored for an entire run. Did you install a fuse in yours? I trust your input as you always have good technical info on BF.c especially in regards to wiring/electrical.

87isMan wrote:

[quote]jlevie wrote:

That circuit has excess capacity, so no fears in that regard. The paranoid will place a 1A fuse between the coil and transponder.[/quote]

Is the fuse a good idea, I don’t want it to blow keeping me from getting scored for an entire run. Did you install a fuse in yours? I trust your input as you always have good technical info on BF.c especially in regards to wiring/electrical.[/quote]

A transponder doesn’t pull much current so the 12A fuse idea would be fine. I don’t have a fuse there, but that’s as much laziness as anything else.

Ranger wrote:

[quote]87isMan wrote:

[quote]jlevie wrote:

Is the fuse a good idea, I don’t want it to blow keeping me from getting scored for an entire run. Did you install a fuse in yours? I trust your input as you always have good technical info on BF.c especially in regards to wiring/electrical.[/quote]

A transponder doesn’t pull much current so the 12A fuse idea would be fine. I don’t have a fuse there, but that’s as much laziness as anything else.[/quote]

Thanks Scott, I guess I am just overthinking this. I just don’t want to screw it up as this is my first timed/scored event.

Just to keep up with SE smack talk, $20 my fastest time is better than yours :unsure: .

A fuse would be a good idea, but I didn’t use one. The transponder only draws something like 30-40ma, so unless there’s a serious problem in the transponder (which would render it inop) a 1A fuse has zero chances of blowing.

The purpose of a fuse is to prevent wires from catching fire in the event of a short. That is, The fuse should be selected based upon the current capacity of the wire, so that the fuse will blow before the wire melts.

Digging this one back up.

Any easy sources for transponder power on the driver’s side? I’m sure I can find something if I probe around with the multi meter but I’m not opposed to the saving that time if someone already knows where to go. Prefer a switched source that is not hot all the time.

i just ran the cable into my switch panel inside the car. pretty easy to run it in via the firewall grommet.

I have mine wired into the fuse box redneck style. There is also something like this http://www.amazon.com/Pico-0957PT-Fuse-Circuit-Holder/dp/B001QRSBY8

probably not the right size, but you get the point.

Where and what kind of transponder do I need to get? How much am i looking at spending?

AMB Transponder. Not cheap new (around $400) and pretty impossible to find used. Get the hard wired one so you don’t need to bother with batteries.

Used might be unworkable. AMB makes it hard to xfer someone else’s transponder into your name. You’ll get lap times, but your MYLAPS data will always be wrong.

not any more, they actually offer a transfer for a fee now.