Transmission Fluid

I have a 1989 325i and I believe that the trans is also an 89, so it does puke out the breather vent. There isn’t a colored label on the trans. It is leaking out the rear from what I believe is the output seal, but I’ll have to clean it up and confirm. Is there any advantage to using MT-90 vs MTL to minimize leaking and/or overflow? Thanks.

From experience, if it is leaking out of the rear, in a big way, you can think it is a seal and you can change it multiple times…only to have the rear leak continue.

Finally, you discover the transmission is out of an earily car (vintage 84-87) where the shifter case mounted to the transmission with 13mm bolts that run through to the inside of the transmission.

Since all racer-types use the newer style shifter, the through bolt holes have to be plugged with a 13mm bolt to prevent the old gearbox from leaking.

Check it out and give us an update.

RP

If you tow your spec e30 on a tow dolly it will REAALLY leak from the shifter plate bolt holes…

Al, how do you know?

RP

[quote=“Patton” post=64535]From experience, if it is leaking out of the rear, in a big way, you can think it is a seal and you can change it multiple times…only to have the rear leak continue.

Finally, you discover the transmission is out of an earily car (vintage 84-87) where the shifter case mounted to the transmission with 13mm bolts that run through to the inside of the transmission.

Since all racer-types use the newer style shifter, the through bolt holes have to be plugged with a 13mm bolt to prevent the old gearbox from leaking.

Check it out and give us an update.

RP[/quote]

thanks. I’ve read about these bolt hole. I’ll take a look. Can I see them with the transmission in place? Also, anyone have any thoughts on mt90 vs mtl?

I have both the MT-90 and the MTL. Looking for a suggestion as well.

Dextron ATF…what BMW recommended and works fine. Change once a year. CB

There is an article on the Redline site about redline fluids for BMWs.

Manual Transmissions:
Through 1985: MTL
1986 through 1992: may have a label affixed to the passenger side bell housing

• Green Label: MT-90
  • Red Label: D4ATF
  • No Label: MTL
    Green and Red labeled transmissions have 17mm external hex drain and fill plugs.
    Non-labeled transmissions have 17mm internal hex drain and fill plugs.
    1993-on: D4ATF

I have been using MTL since I did the transmission swap on my car, so going on 3 years now, and I like it.

Throwing MTL in it now matter what label I find!

If your shifting is notchy or hard (worn sincs) change to ATF. Chuck

[quote=“turbo329is” post=64544]There is an article on the Redline site about redline fluids for BMWs.

Manual Transmissions:
Through 1985: MTL
1986 through 1992: may have a label affixed to the passenger side bell housing

• Green Label: MT-90
  • Red Label: D4ATF
  • No Label: MTL
    Green and Red labeled transmissions have 17mm external hex drain and fill plugs.
    Non-labeled transmissions have 17mm internal hex drain and fill plugs.
    1993-on: D4ATF[/quote]

Ok, guess I’ll use MTL. The last time that I a hanged the fluid, I added a dark colored additive from Luqui Moly to help with the notchyness, but I can’t remember what it’s called and haven’t been able to find it online. Any ideas what it might be?