Transmission fill plug seized

Anyone have any tips getting it broke free? Worse case scenario, any other options to get fluid in there?

Years ago I read an article that compared different liquid wrench type products. The surprise winner was a 50-50 mixture of acetone and ATF. Ever since reading that article, thats what I’ve used.

I assume the tranny is in the car. If that’s the case then your options are limited. My only idea is to soak it repeatedly with Ranger’s magic solution and then shove an ice-cube into the big hex socket hole. Give it a couple minutes and then try to get the SOB out.

Stating the obvious, the biggest danger is rounding out the hex. Be careful that it’s clean inside, the hex socket is fully inserted and square, and then hit it with a monster impact wrench. The repeated shocks of a big impact wrench do a helova lot better in this kind of situation then a big-ass breaker bar.

A big impact gun needs 1/2" hose. Don’t choke it with small hose.

If the tranny was out you could drain and fill it via the vent hole up top near the slave.

Yes, tranny is in the car. I have a very slight front seal leak and I just wanted to top it off before this weekend at CMP. I will try one more time on the trailer tomorrow. If unsuccessful, I might just go ahead and pull it.

I got to thinking about this more last night. If the ice trick doesn’t work, use a torch to heat the area around the plug, and then shove the ice cube into the recessed hex hole. When I wrote the previous post last night I was conflicted as to what the affect of heating the outer radius of the threaded hole would do. I think that heat, cleverly applied, will expand the radius of the hole tho so it’s worth trying.

Might want to have a water spray bottle handy for use on the flaming underbody coating.

if you installed a tube on the breather you could fill it that way. other than that I think you are out of options.

You just described every “date night” for Madooski.

You just described every “date night” for Madooski.[/quote]
But consider how significant to him it must be that he’s able to find someone with the same sense of humor. Have a heart man.

See, there is a reason he went Spec Miata racing…cause date nights for him he enjoys choking his friends hose.

I never said I enjoyed it.

Using proper punctuation, that should be “friend’s hose”. Because using the plural possessive “friends’” with a singular noun “hose” would be both improper English and rather tiring to one’s forearm.

You know I suk at da engrish.

Oh, and BTW, I got the plug loose.

Congrats. How did you do it?

With a BFAW (a big f#@!in allen wrench)

Actually, sprayed it with some PB while I cut the wrench down to clear the exhaust shield. That was another job in itself. So, tranny is full and ready to go. Now if my g/f would just hurry up and get home so we can leave. :frowning:

Lol. You need a set of hex sockets. Available at your local Harbor Freight for the cost of approx. 1 beer. A good beer, of course.