Trailer Length?

Hey Y’all,

I’m getting prepared to purchase a trailer. Used prices aren’t much less than new, so I’m planning on getting a new one. I’m getting an open deck to keep the weight and cost down. Any thoughts about a 16’ vs. an 18’? The 16’ is more appealing to me because it will be less money, less weight, and more manueverable (or at least easier to store). My only concern is about fitting a tire rack and a work box on a 16’ along with the car.

Thanks,
Sasha

the trailer box should be a trapezoid shape and sit on the tongue (hence out of the way) and the tire rack is raised up above the hood, so you can pull all the way onto the trailer without issue.
Also consider mounting a spare tire holder on the outside of the tongue.
I recommend the 16’.
Good luck.
J

I have a 16’ open trailer and its the perfect length for an e30. I used it when I had my e36 as well. It has a tire rack and feul jug rack up front and there is still plenty of length for the car. I also have a large plastic tool box mounted on the front.

I’ve got a 16’ open trailer and I am currently having a tire rack made for it. The bottom of the rack will be 4 ft. up so I can still get the hood under it. There should still be room for a metal tool/storage box in the very front. IMO, there is really no need for an 18 ft. trailer. They just take up more room and are harder to manuver when parking and backing.

If you haven’t already found them, Kaufman makes a nice very reasonable trailer: http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/catalog.php?ID=3b75b29c11e7e078f596ada06e0425f4c6eaec45a16664957c8a8754200cea12

Or Kraftsman is basically the same. Supposedly the company was started by an previous Kaufman employee: http://www.kraftsmaninc.com/

With regards to the tire racks. I made mine tall enough to have the hood under but with the added weight of the tire rack full of tires, I had to move the car back on the trailer to balance out the weight.

Just something to think about.

Michael O.

Here’s a pic of my setup. I have a bunch of others. If you want them, drop an email to eric@theruperts.net and I’ll send them over.

Started life as a $1400 "econo-trailer" (made in Pittsburgh PA) and it’s 16’. I have a tire rack (8 tires), fuel carrier (4, 5Gal jugs), Work Box (jack, jackstands, tarp, fire bottle, plywood for jackstands for places like VIR, CMP), spare tire carrier, and a ramp extension carrier. Even have a carrier at the back for a Yamaha Scooter. Plenty of room.

If it were me, I’d probably consider a metal tool box. We had a trailer at GT for the GRM Challenge team that had a plastic box and a homeless bum broke it with a sign post to see what was inside. Luckily there was nothing good in there at the time.

Thanks for all the info. I’m calling Kaufman today to put a deposit on a 16’! My Prodigy brake controller arrived last night, along with a Ridgeline-specific wiring harness. The install appears simple, so it will no doubt go totally sideways and take 6 hours!:ohmy:

Sasha

Ex36 wrote:

[quote]Thanks for all the info. I’m calling Kaufman today to put a deposit on a 16’! My Prodigy brake controller arrived last night, along with a Ridgeline-specific wiring harness. The install appears simple, so it will no doubt go totally sideways and take 6 hours!:ohmy:

Sasha[/quote]

I have the same controller with harness for my Silverado and it took about 5 minutes to install. Very easy.

Eric,

That’s a sweet looking set-up. Do you know what the depth of your tire rack is? I’m having Kaufman install 4 stake pockets up front at the proper spacing so I can have a tire rack fabbed up that is removable. The pockets are only $5/each.

Thanks,
Sasha

I’ll try to remember to check over the w/e. In the meantime, drop me an email to eric@theruperts.net and I’ll shoot you a bunch of pics of the mods. One of the most convenient is a tray that I welded in the rear that allows me to slide in two 2x6’s that I use for ramp extensions. I also welded in D-rings to take the place of the corner-mounted tie down tabs.

:evil: I was doing a little research and came across this… :whistle:

Ex36 wrote:

[quote]Brian,

I just wanted to remind all of you that towing is for wusses. As JP would say, "Don’t be a Nancy." Drive to the track with the knowledge that you must fix all mechanical and race damage before heading home! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sasha[/quote]

:pinch: :laugh: :laugh:

I need to preclude my six-year-old son from posting. He writes the darndest things that I simply cannot be held responsible for…:sick:

Sasha

For anyone looking for a trailer in the northeast…

Appalachian Trailer Sales 16’ closed deck, $1,695

or

Econo-Trailer 16’ open deck, $1,650

-Scott