Towing a 28' trailer...anyone experienced?

I need a trailer, and thought about getting an enclosed. There’s a used one available, but I’m worried it’s way more than I need, in fact I know it is. But the price isn’t far off what open trailers cost and it would be nice to have the room. I’ve got plenty of truck to pull it.

What’s it like towing something that big? I tow my 23’ boat all over and it doesn’t bother me. I towed that ridiculous open trailer with the huge box back in February and it wasn’t too bad. Anyone have any advice on it?

John

I have a 24’ that I pull with a f-250 diesel. Truck pulls fine. The only thing a little scary is when it gets caught up in the wind of a semi or on a bridge. Nothing major though unless you’re not paying attention.

Good luck. I say if it’s a good price, jump on it.

Jason

I pulled a 28’ enclosed Pace for the first year we did this. Great trailer and I pulled it with a 1999 2500 Surbuban and it pulled well with the use of load leveling hitch.

We got rid of it because it was big for one car but not big enough for two. If you want more room for stuff or a golf cart, it’s great.

Pulling it down the highway at 75 can get abit wild, but it’s very workable. If the price is good, grab it! I got mine for $5,000 with a 28’ awning and sold it a year later without the awning for the same $5,000.

+1 for the 24’ with the F-250 (V10 - gas). Pulls fine. It will get a little interesting the first time a semi blows by but you get used to it and after that it’s not a big deal. You’ll like the extra space and soon wonder how you got along without it. If the price is right, buy it.
Bob

If you have a 3/4 ton or bigger truck it won’t be a big deal.
The sway controls help a lot. It keeps it more stable at speed and keeps it in line better when rigs come around you or when you are in a crosswind. I added one to a trailer I had a few years ago and it made a big difference.

I’ve got a 3/4 ton diesel. But I think I’m going to pass. The paddocks are tight enough sometimes, and I’m usually getting there at the last minute. I’m going to keep looking for a good used 18’ open trailer.

John

John, here’s another thought for you. We are running two cars and the amount of “stuff” you bring seems to double or triple when you have an enclosed trailer. Of course that means that the clean up time on Sunday afternoon is alot longer.

Tom and I are getting rid of both our enclosed trailers and going to a single and a double open trailer. This plus the fact that we are going to try and stay at tracks within a two hour drive should (we hope) minimizie the “headache factor”.

We found that while it’s nice to have a covered place to put your car at the track and to store it at home, it also makes things more crazy.

John, agree with Jeff.

We have an open 32 ft aluminum trailer, with a 8-tire rack, to pull our 2 cars to the track. Tow with a 3/4 ton Suburban. No problems at all with the rig, but it is long and a lot different than towing an 18 ft trailer (our previous set-up before getting the second car). We have no problem toting all of our gear to the track by loading up the cars and the Suburban. An open trailer is much less susceptible to wind issues as well.
Ed