Tow Strap/Hook

What are you guys with the diving boards using for tow straps/hooks?

I’m using the orange loop thingy Bimmerworld sells

I thought that was for the plastic bumpers only?

We run the Strap Bimmerworld sells in between the bottom off the bumper and the top of the spoiler/air dam. This gives you a direct shot to the factory tow rings in line with the frame rails.

Just loop the strap through the ring on the frame rail, either side, and pull it through the gap.

I wasn’t wowed by the strap durability, so chose the really expensive Bimmerworld (I think) screw in hook.

Well…I wouldn’t trust the screw in hook to the factory mount for a plastic bumpered car, since I had mine break after a lift tow. When it broke, it caused more damage than the accident did…:angry: The mount is not designed to be lifted as it is just welded on two sides, and crappy welds at that. I have not come up with a final solution but I am looking at making some loops that bolt on below the bumper and use a longer bolt for the bumper.

I wouldn’t expect them to be good for anything but a flat tow/pullout.

Factory hooks/loop - with a tow arrow.
Ed

edavidson wrote:

[quote]Factory hooks/loop - with a tow arrow.
Ed[/quote]

I don’t know that I’d worry about it too much. The one time I got a tow… they just tied on to my strut brace and towed me in.

I am sure what I did wont survive a lift/tow, but I bought a longer bumper bolt and made a spacer to get a 3/16" steel muffler flange with the one bolt hole/ear cut off. I put a slight bend in it and it fits under the bumper perfect. I think it will suffice for a tow. If I’m in a ditch we might have a problem. I like the strut bar attachment point for that. I will post a pic soon. E>

I use the bimmerworld tow strap, but used some steel cable to tie it to both front bumper mounts (and prevent it from sliding arround). This allows the weight to be distributed to both mounts and prevents the strap from stressing / breaking the bumper. It’s only been used once but appeared to work great.