Tow Dolly to the track?

I don’t really have space for a trailer. I was looking at using a tow dolly.

I have concern that the back/muffler will drag on a tow dolly. I also have concerns of spinning the drive shaft for long periods of time. I hear it is bad for the car, but I dont know.

Anyone have any feedback on using a dolly? should just suck it up an rent a space for a trailer? It is only money right :slight_smile:

I hate tow dollies. http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/31/15.html#000009

A tow dolly will be a good first step. That way, you can skip over the open trailer you would have owned for about 8 months before deciding that an enclosed trailer (that doesn’t have to be unloaded in the dark at 10:30 on a Sunday night – and can serve as ‘trackside lodging’) is more your style. Which happens about 18 months before a toterhome and stacker makes more sense than putting the kids through college.

Or maybe that’s just me.:blush:

PS - I don’t know about the wear and tear on the car, but all kidding aside an open trailer will be way easier on the equipment. Any you can back up with one when some d-bag pulls into the space right in front of your grill at McDonald’s.:laugh:

tow dolly is a drag for rear drive cars. It is required to disconnect the driveshaft for safe transportation. Plus a small open trailer isnt really much more $$. Hunt for a small open trailer. I have a single axle open trailer that can be moved around by myself by hand. Not easy to find but probably the best solution…

andrew240z wrote:

The only downside being the wicked uncontrollability if you have a blowout. IndyJim calls me Safety Sally, but I feel much better pulling a tandem axle trailer with two spares.

yeah. nix the dolly idea… too much of a hassle undoing the drive shaft each time and it seems unsafe to me. can you find a local auto shop to store the trailer and race car and act as advertising for them?

I hate saying this, but I dont trust leaving my car anywhere around my house. The only reason I consider it halfway safe at my house is that it is blocked in by 2 other cars. I have a few ideas for storing the trailer, but I may just rent a uhall one for the first few events this year.

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Go for a trailer over the dolly. If you don’t have room for the trailer at home, talk to the self storage places. One (or more) will have a space inside of a locked fence for a trailer. Probably won’t cost more than $50/mo.

andrew240z wrote:

FWIW, I have no issue moving my 18’ open dual axle trailer around by hand…as long as the car isn’t on it…then it’s a different story :wink:

I have the ET184B-102 from these guys: http://www.econotrailer.com/Open.html It’s steel, but inexpensive, light, and easy to tow. I highly recommend them if you end up going with an open trailer.

Also, the open center worked out perfectly for the spec exhaust install. It’s high enough that I can even sit up under the car.

On other item to consider. If the car is not registered it is not legal to be on the road. Tow dolly with rear wheels on the road.

After the engine blew, a friend towed Mr. Trashy back on a dolly. I followed it in his car.

It wasn’t pretty. The car was wandering all over the place and entering the adjacent lanes left and right 10-15% of the time. Not just little bit but good 4-5 feet.

It was raining hard after we passed Macon and I was just expecting another car to ram it from behind.

The driveshaft can stay connected for flat tows, so I don’t see why it has to be disconnected for a dolly.

You look into just renting a trailer from Uhaul? Depending on how many weekends you’re going to do, it might be cheaper than buying trailer/storage…bit of a hassle though.

I have been towing with a dolly for years…just towed an Alfa back from Miami with the e12. I have never had a problem as far as disconnecting the driveshaft but have had to saw a couple in half that were jammed in gear. I have towed my spec e30 with a 4 cyl Volvo wagon, an e28 528e and the e12 528i. Dolly’s take some getting used to and you have to be patient…forget backing up a loaded dolly and make very wide turns.

Al

I’ve been using a dolly for a little over year since my open trailer got stolen. :angry:
I get around the whole drive shaft issue by towing it backwards. I do need to use a small wooden block on the driver side as i’m backing up to avoid catching the exhaust. Then secure the steering wheel with a bungee cord. It works out relatively well and the dolly can be stowed very easily. As good as a trailer…well, no. But it does the job until the Obama money shows up.

If Obama gets his way you will be pulling your dolly with an Ox!

mougl1 wrote:

[quote]I’ve been using a dolly for a little over year since my open trailer got stolen. :angry:
I get around the whole drive shaft issue by towing it backwards. I do need to use a small wooden block on the driver side as i’m backing up to avoid catching the exhaust. Then secure the steering wheel with a bungee cord. It works out relatively well and the dolly can be stowed very easily. As good as a trailer…well, no. But it does the job until the Obama money shows up.[/quote]

You’ll need to check with BMW, but I am pretty sure flat towing or Dollying the 325 is not an issue at all, you might need to register the car as a trailer or a street car - depending upon your state though.

Dollying an Rx7 or Miata is a no-no though.

Huh??:huh: :unsure: :S

Re registration - let me expand on that: In California, if the car wheels touches the road you have to register it as a vehicle, there are ways to get it registered as trailer, but there are hurdles and tea party members to climb over.

kgobey wrote:

[quote]
Of course if the Tea Party has it’s way, I’m moving to Canada.[/quote]

Agreed! That Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the Federalist Papers that give them context are just so inconvenient.

If you want to argue and make a point, I’d like to hear your arguments against or for optimization for straight-line performance over handling in an overweight e30 (re- your other thread). Or artificially damaging parts to achieve optimal alignment settings.

I’d rather argue about anything else than politics in the US… I’ll delete my comment from that post…