tie down points

Where are the best points to fasten tie down straps on the e30 when
trailering? My car goes onto the trailer for the first time and off to the
cage builder on Saturday morning.

Hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend at Summit Point!

Steven

In the front, near the control arm lollipops are tow hook tabs. In the rear, there are tabs in the back of the wheel wells. Some people think the rear ones are too weak (they’ve been working fine for me) and they throw an axle strap over the subframe crossmember instead.

Steven,

The fronts are easy…Just behind the front wheels on the inside lower portion of the wheel well are factory tie down loops…very strong.

The rears have factory loops too, but the location is not optimum. If you tie down to them, the straps rub against the side of the car. For a long time I used tie down straps looped through the wheels or over the rear subframe. Not a bad way to do it and it works…I recently mounted fabricated tie down loops that bolt in at the same attachment point as the rear shock. A buddy of mine at RG engineering fab’s them up for racers. It’s very trick and you don’t have to worry about messing up a rear end aligment.

Here’s a picture of what they look like installed in the rear

If you want his contact info let me know

brain [file name=tiedwn.jpg size=66427]http://spece30.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/tiedwn.jpg[/file]

Post edited by: brain, at: 2006/07/06 20:17