Thoughts on this vibration

I’ve got a vibration at high RPM that I was able to isolate to the flywheel forward (if you rev it with the car out of gear and stationary, it happens). Any ideas?

If the noise is forward of the the flywheel, it must be your engine. Sheesh Kyle…

Seriously though, check your harmonic balancer. It may have loosened up or maybe even damaged from the crash.

Could be the flyweel too, right. FLWL connected to the motor in neutral. Less noisy, more actual vibration feeling. Any suggestions for isolating further? I’ll check the HB. If it was the HB, would I have some missing too? There’s no missing, powwer loss, etc.

Could that go bad in the accident?

Ill throw ths out there–in the accident, the left side moved enough to shove the lower rad hose against the alt. The blades on the alt cut a huge hole in the hose in a short time. Could the pulleys be misaligned now?

Keep in mind that with the motor in neutral the flywheel, clutch disk, clutch, and input shaft are all spinning.

I’d check harmonic balancer, water pump pulley and alternator. See if you can’t come up with a way to make darn sure that they’re spinning perfectly on axis.

Well, if that’s the case, then I suspect its in the trans or the connection on either end. In the accident, the car got alittle airborn and landed on armco. The rear of the transmissino took the brunt oof the force (it broke off one of the ears that the stock exhaust bracket attaches to).

Start the car with the clutch in and see if the vibration is there. In that scenario the transmission input shaft isn’t turning until you release the clutch.

A hard down-shift or a mis-shift can break the straps on the clutch which will lead to a strange vibration. I don’t know that the crash could have done this, but it’s probably worth looking into if you eliminate the other potential sources.

For posterity sake:

It turned out to be the input shaft/bearing in the tranny which isn’t surprising since the entire car dropped from about 3 feet in the air and landed squarely on the transmission housing.