The New Ranger 6 Build Thread

Mirror solution. I went to the parts bin and looked thru all the hardware I have that is designed to attach to a cage. And I found some long clamp-thingees.

Re. Mirror being close and range of view. Sure, a close mirror gives more field of view but my eyes aren’t what they used to be and they don’t change to close focus very well anymore. The closer the mirror is the closer your eye’s focus has to be.

Plug for Allview. If you have a panel mirror or a panaramic mirror, then my mirror is a helova lot better than yours. No misaligned panels and very little panaramic distortion. A better mirror might keep you out of a wall one day. Wait, ah, that tag line was not ideal. Call Marketing and ask them WTF they’re thinking.

Scott, you don’t focus on the mirror…you focus on what is reflected in the mirror, and a panoramic mirror works best. CB

A person would think so, but put a small mirros 1" from your eye such that it takes in the scene behind you. See how hard it is to snap your vision from infinite front to the mirror.

Engine won’t start and the exhaust is all messed up.

The car won’t start.
I needed to move the race car out of the garage so I could bring in the new e46 DD. This would get New#6 off of the scissor list so I could try to fit the exhaust, and it would let me work on the e46 at night. But all the sudden I couldn’t get the race car to “catch”. The starter was turning the engine but it wasn’t firing. There was a schedule here that needed to be adhered to. I needed the darn car out of the garage and with quiet hours starting at 9PM and the car with no exhaust, I had only about 30min of available time to get the car started and moved. Otherwise I was hosed and the evening’s planned work was going to slip a day. And that’s always a pisser.

Although I’d done a fair amount of work on the car in the preceding week, I’d not touched engine management so I didn’t understand why the race car wouldn’t start. I spent some time standing over the engine bay scratching my head wondering “what did I change”? To check that I was getting fuel, I disconnected the fuel line and ran the starter. No fuel. Then I jumped the fuel pump relay and confirmed that the fuel pump was good. So I started focusing on the crank pos sensor, checking it’s gap, reseating the connector, and generally wiggling wires…when the CPS sensor wire popped right out of the CPS. “Ah hah” I exclaimed.

So I replaced the CPS from the copious spares, turned the ignition key and… the car still didn’t fire up. $@##!.

I went back and checked everything over again to see if I’d confused something. By then I was really scratching my head as to why my fuel pump wasn’t being told to pump fuel. At some point a person has ruled out all the low hanging fruit and is grasping for unlikely straws like…even tho you’re positive that you didn’t fool with the like connectors of the CPS and plugwire #6 sensor since the car last ran, you check anyways because e30 fairies might have switched them when you back was turned.

Eventually it was 1AM, I was out of ideas, so I decided to have a beer on it. Er, I mean sleep in it.

The next day at work I had a sudden epiphany. “Hey, didn’t I disconnect the DME cable because I was welding the other night”? So when I got home I took a look and sure enough. Altho in a casual inspection the cable looked attached to the DME, one tug of the connector made it clear that it was not attached after all. And so was solved the mystery of WHY THE HECK WON"T THIS DAMNED ENGINE START?!!

The silver lining is that the CPS with the weak cable got replaced before it failed on it’s own.

Exhaust.
I was concerned that the exhaust might have been bent in the crash and therefore not fit. I was hoping tho that the entire exhaust system had simply beeny moved backwards 8" or so when the engine was pushed back by the impact, and therefore had survived unscathed. If not entirely unscathed, “surely Midas can bend a tube a bit to make it work”, I figured.

The test fit of the exhaust had to be done in the driveway up on jackstands. The scissor lift is no place to try to work on an exhaust, but that meant working in the darkness by flashlight. To make things a little harder my exhaust is all welded together so there’s no separating pieces to ease the install.

After struggling for 90min with the 30lb very ungainly 14’ long beast by flashlight under the car in the inky darkness, I was done. The damned thing needed to go to Midas. I figured that they’d be able to do some cutting and bending to cobble together an exhaust system. I had tried and tried to get the beast to fit, but I could either run it under the car or I could push it up to the exhaust manifold but try as I might I could not seem to get it to do both. I was frustrated, dirty, and exhausted from wrestling with the beast half the night. The SOB was all messed up and wasn’t going to go on except in little pieces.

The failure of the exhaust test-fit meant the car had to go to Midas. Had to go on to the trailer to go to Midas. And had to have brakes to go on to the trailer to go to Midas. And that was a problem. The darn car, you see, really didn’t have much in the way of brakes. Since I had brake lines open for a week during the suspension and rear subframe replacement, a lot of air got into the system. The failure of the Speedbleeders and the two failure fountains (of brake fluid) from the pressure bleeder had left a bunch of air in the brake hydraulics.

After a logistical pause to conduct Class IX resupply (Armyspeak for having a beer), I marshalled my reserves of enthusisam and by 11PM I was replacing the failed Speedbleeders with normal bleeder valves. By flashlight of course. Just the fact that I found normal bleeder valves among the copious spares was a nice commentary on being organized. As I hit the AM I took a look at the pressure bleeder to discover if the cause of brake fluid fountain #2 might be overcome. This was a big deal because w/o the pressure bleeder I was going to need help bleeding the brakes. And that would be a problem.

I contemplated the least of 2 evils…I could get one of the kids to help me bleed the brakes and invite an agony of haplessness and frustration, or I could wheedle and badger until the wife grudgingly helped for 15min, knowing that she’d hold that against me for a year.

My wife cuts me an awful lot of slack to pursue my obsessions, but only with the understanding that I not bother her with them. With Italian heels on, climbing into a car that is up on jackstands, crawling over the cage and then down to sit on the hard dirty floor pan (no seat), and then creating perfect harmony between pedal and bleeder valve, all in inky darkness was going to take a long time to fade from recall.

After pondering the value of both my sanity and my marriage, I went and took another look at the pressure bleeder. In the first bit of real luck in several days it turned out that the 2nd brake fluid fountain had not been a product of a busted plastic nozzle on the jug, but instead inadequate Home Depot hose. Up in the attic spares dept in the “misc hose bin” I found some fuel line that looked like it would work ok and I installed it on the jug with a quick release fitting at the other end.

The next night I put a half liter of SuperBlue thru the system and dropped the car off of the jackstands. Nothing like a pressure bleeder to keep the divorce lawyer at bar. Then I fetched the trailer and, noticing that the brakes were still pretty bad, put the car on the trailer only minutes before the 9PM beginning of quiet hours, and carefully tucked 14’ exhaust pipe on the trailer beside the car perilously close to my fabulous new paint.

Also, I had a spare set of exhaust downtubes among the several e30’s that are disassembled in our attic, so the spare downtubes got loaded up too, in case Midas might need them. The wife doesn’t realize how many parts I have up in the attic because she doesn’t normally go up there. It’s only a coincidence that cracks are appearing in the master bedroom ceiling.

The following morning, race car, 14’ of exhaust, and the spare downtube went to Midas. And 8hrs later they were home again, The Midas Touch having no more luck than I with the bent 2-into-1 exhaust collector, I would be calling the SpecE30 exhaust guy for parts.

Altho I would not get the exhaust parts for another two weeks, the effort was ultimately successful. The pic below shows the car just back from Midas shyly wearing it’s first SpecE30 exhaust system. The flex coupling on my old downtubes was apparently cracked in the crash so another gold star for the attic based spares dept.

The “To Do” list never really gets smaller, it’s just that the things that get added to it become more and more minor. A number of tasks got complete while I waited on exhaust parts

Alignment.
I’d been kind of putting this off for fear of bad news. I’d taken a calculated risk last month when I swapped in the subframe from the crashed race car. But other then my calibrated eyeball I never really confirmed that my old subframe came out of the crash unscathed. The drive train took a helova whack when the engine was pushed back. The tranny mounts snapped, the shifter rod was shoved thru 6" of sheetmetal, and the linkage between tranny and driveshaft sheared. Therefore the diff certainly sustained a helova blow and that could easily have distorted the rear subframe.

Figuring that I might as well attack the most problematic thing first, I started in on rear toe. There’s a number of ways to DIY toe but I use a laser level and toe plates and shoot a beam from the rear wheel forward past the front hub. Because you are measuring rear toe not at the rear rim but instead at the distant front hub, this technique exaggerates any toe problem by 6x. That makes it easy to very precisely set toe. The initial check of toe found that both right and left goofed, but not critically so. The right rear had about 1mm toe out and the left had about 5mm of toe in. The goal for rear toe was just the slightest amount of toe in.

I have aluminum subframe bushings. Before I installed my old subframe on New#6 I had cut away a little of the aluminum subframe bushings such that there would be more clearance to get a wrench on the rtab adjuster bolt. Nothing like having done this a couple times before to know the tricks. But…I still couldn’t quite get a thin wrench in place. It was so incredibly close, so tantalizingly close, to “clicking in” on the adjuster nut, but it wasn’t quite there. After 20min of struggling to get the standard thin wrench on to the nut, I became more and more certain that I’d cut-down a thin wrench last year for exactly this nut. So I got up and started hunting around my tool boxes and the two garages for that customized wrench. But after having looked everywhere, found other customized wrenches, and lost some confidence that my memory was accurate, I went back to trying to turn “tantalizingly close” to “eureka”.

After another 20mins of struggle trying all sorts of things to get the nut to budge just a little so I could get the wrench on, I started wandering around the 2 garages again looking for the cut-down wrench that I could have %$*#^@!! sworn I made last year. Since it was after midnight, I couldn’t cut down another thin wrench because the grinder would be too loud with the warm weather encouraging the neighbors to open their bedroom windows.

Once again failing to find the custom thin wrench, I marshalled what tenacity remained and began a 3rd iteration of 20min trying to get to the damned adjuster nut. And got no where. Frustrated, realizing that I either found that wrench I’d made last year, ceased fire until I could make a new wrench the next day, or threw myself off of a goddamned bridge, I searched one last time for the cut-down thin wrench before I called it a night. It looked like I’d be firing up the grinder the next evening to make another wrench. Which is when I FOUND THE SOB. Right where it was supposed to be, of course, albeit cleverly hiding under the clutch alignment tool.

In a side note…Last year I had problems with the right toe of my weld-on toe/camber kit. The toe setting wouldn’t stay where I put it for love or money. It only required a couple hot laps to shift the right-rear from a smidgen of toe-in to a buttload of toe-out. Given that the whole reason I went to the weld-on toe/camber kit was so that I could create alignment that I wanted and have some confidence that it would stay there, the shifty toe problem was highly irksome.

In order to hold the toe setting in place last year I’d fabbed a device that anchored the right toe adjuster’s eccentic. But I found in the fight with the subframe on New#6 that my idea worked a lot better on Old#6. The problem was that the new car’s gas tank didn’t have the same big-arse dents in it that the old car had, providing clearance for the mod. As a result I couldn’t really grab on to my eccentric holder and set it to hang on at the new eccentric position. That is to say, now my eccentric holder, doesn’t.

Back to the main feature. Making good progress now that I had the cut-down wrench, at 1AM I finally said “screw it, it’s good enough”. 0.5mm, toe in RR, perfectly neutral LR. Only because my measurement technique magnifies toe by 6x was I able to see the negligible 0.5mm toe in. A shop’s alighnment system might not see that at all.

Window net.
Altho it took 2 days for the red paint to dry on the window net fastening device. It went in w/o drama.

Battery hold-down.
I spent way too much time scheming and trying different battery hold down ideas. The one I finally went with uses a long nut that is used for connecting threaded bars together. I managed a couple decent tacks w/o burning thru the sheetmetal. When it comes to me welding sheetmetal, it doesn’t get better than that.

This has got to be the best description of race car preparation that I’ve ever heard.

Thanks for letting me know that I’m not the only one who goes through these frustrations with building/maintaining a race car. You’re just better at putting it into words than most of us are.

It’s good to see the progress and I’m looking forward to seeing the new #6 out on track.

Livery almost complete. Put the big historic soldiers decal on the hood with the John Adams Quote, removed the first “Move Over ====>” decal attempt that wasn’t visible enough and put the 2nd effort on. White background and bigger letters. I also put red around the leading edge of the hood, and black on the trailing edge. This will protect the parts of the hood where the paint takes a beating.

On Friday I went by the PickNPull and found a cherry, and relatively rare, 318is to pull some parts from. Well, cherry except for the significant front and rear damage. It had been darn clean before the wreck. Got a windshield wiper arm, door handle opening mechanism, abs and CEL dash lights. Still need a front bumper reflector.

Have been scheming on fabbing a skid plate. I wish I could weld aluminum.

Somehow the car came back from Midas with a brake cooling hose ruined. Fortunately I have a bunch high temp 3" hose in the attic so replacing it wasn’t a big deal. Also wire-tied the muffler to the car as a backup to the rubber donuts.

New coolant pressure switch installed. I couldn’t seem to find the one from the crashed race car, and the one I installed from the parts bin is wrong and illuminates when there is pressure as opposed to illuminating when there’s no pressure. I think I found a far cheaper way to do this than my previous efforts. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LN6AEQ/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details

I couldn’t find my windshield mylar which was a real pisser. I had a big tube of the stuff that I got for beer money and normally it’s really expensive.

Would be nice to get the abs working before it’s first track day in 2 weeks.

Got this to get a 2nd opinion on my camber gauge. Really works well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PTGBRQ/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details

When I was talking about buying a really unprecise digital level I was talking about one of those. Cancel the order or send it back. It is junk.

I think this is the one we had in the Army for adjusting Apache tail rotors. Notice the price difference. You get what you pay for except that the Army pays over 600 for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Macklanburg-PRO-3600-Digital-Protractor/dp/B00481QCYA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_3

New#6’s first day at the track was today at Roebling. Nothing fell off. The biggest problem was I was blowing a lot of blue smoke and going thru oil like crazy. I’m hoping that the two are related. I found that oil is leaking out of the rocker arm cover worse than I’ve ever seen. Tightening it down didn’t seem to help. I took the rocker arm cover off and a check against a level ID’d the fact that the rocker arm cover wasn’t very flat. I figure also that the rocker arm cover gasket is probably old and dry, and therefore couldn’t handle that ~1mm “non-flatness”.

I found 5 rocker arm covers in the attic so I grabbed the flattest one and a new gasket and will put that on in the morning.

I’m hoping that the cause of the blue smoke is oil dripping off of the engine on to the exhaust farther back. There’s no air pulses coming out of rocker vent hose so there’s no way the rings are leaking. Could be a bad valve seal tho.

I corner weighed the car and I’m off by 31 lbs. That’s not that great. I’m going to try to get that <10lbs.

The shifter has a really long-ass throw.

Woo, Hoo! That is what we’ve been waiting to hear. It sounds like the car doesn’t have any major problems and what problems it has will be easy to fix.

I had the same problem when I didn’t get the rocker shaft plugs seated.

It took 2 iterations of putting goobage on the rocker arm cover gasket today to get it to stop leaking on the intake side. This was with a (fairly) new gasket and my “flattest” rocker arm cover. Odd that I had to work so hard on that.

I found that I had another oil leak tho. The big tube connecting block and intake leaks like a sieve at it’s base once the oil gets hot and rpms go up. I may have to pull the intake manifold off to get that out and look at the rubber ring that should be sealing it’s base.

The Jesus nut loosened up on me again. I’ve probably used up all my luck there. I’m going to get serious about the darn thing this time. I’m going to weld some angle iron on to a spare harmonic balance to hold the crank in place. The angle iron will reach out and shove against a frame rail. Then I’m going to fab a 36" torque wrench extension so I can get the ~300ftlbs needed. Finally…blue locktite. That bastard is going to stay tight this time.

The bitch tube could be missing o-rings, or they could be bad. But I have seen grudge on the tube on in the block preventing the tube from moving and making a seal. A scratch wheel will clean the tube and a brake hone will clean the block. Once the intake is off the fix is easy.

To make re-installation of the intake easier, zip tie the spring of the bitch tube in a compressed state. Well, that or have a helper hold the tube down.

It also might be missing the flat washer that should fit between the spring and the O-ring, so don’t forget to look for that when you take it off.

However, isn’t it possible to remove the tube without pulling the intake? I’m thinking you should be able to zip-tie/compress the spring to release enough tension to work it out of place.

Torque on crank shaft Pulley bolt

The glorious track debut of New#6 went pretty well. I mean other than it leaking oil like a sieve, and I almost destroyed the engine. Er, again.

Roebling Road, 5Apr12

There were a lot of things to be concerned about. I’d never put any stress on the car at all so I had no idea what it would do. Every orginal part was an unknown. All the parts that had come over from Old#6, like the entire rear end, had taken one heck of a whack and were therefore suspect. I’d been surprised by loose fasteners on the car already, there’d be fasteners that I should have put locktite on, and there’d be the odd fastener that I just failed to tighten. Fasteners just seem to loosen on their own. Because race car.

The oiling and cooling systems couldn’t be trusted because they’d been pulled apart and extensively imagineered. All the gauges and warning lights added possible plumbing failure points, the brakes and suspension had all been redone…the list was just endless. What if the goddamned steering column let go at 120mph?

I did not have any confidence in any single part of the car. Ok, well, the paint I had confidence in. I simply had to head down Roebling’s front straight at 125mph and hope for the best. I swear to god every time I approached the turn 1 braking zone I noted the trees ahead with unease and as my foot moved to the brakes I thought “come on baby, don’t fail me now”.

I was blowing a lot of blue smoke. The engine had done well in carefull compression tests and there was no ring blow-by coming from the rocker arm cover port so I didn’t buy an explanation of leaky rings. I was thinking maybe a bad valve seal. Ever the optimist…“the engine hasn’t hardly been run in 2yrs, lets just drive the piss out of it and maybe it’ll get better”.

After another session I noted that the oil was a little low. After a half dozen more laps of blue smoke I checked the oil again and decided it was no fluke. In fact, one session I was able to see oil pressure dropping in some turns, which was spooky. Not dropping to scary low pressures, but certainly dropping lower than it should have been and doing so because of g-load oil starvation. The oil pump was briefly sucking up air under relatively mild g-load conditions of driving at 8/10ths on 5yr old tires. This was occuring at ~ 1/2qt below “Full”. After a couple iterations of adding oil I was thinking “Damn, that must be one leaky valve seal”.

Other than the blue smoke and losing oil, the car seemed to be doing ok. After careful study of the oil traces I decided that the oil had to be coming out of intake side of the rocker arm cover. That was a darn odd place to lose so much oil, but that didn’t prevent an “Ah hah”. I tightened the already tight rocker arm cover down a bit more and headed back out with renewed optimism.

By lunch I’d gone thru the 1.5qts of oil that I’d brought and, much to my chagrin, had to buy some gas station 20W50 rotgut.

The oil loss continued. The left side of the engine was soaked. I wasn’t doing much in the way of laps because of concern about putting oil on the track. I’d wipe things down a bit so I could see “new” oil, do 2 hot laps and then come in and try to figure out what the source of the oil leak was.

I wondered if maybe there was a way I could blame the blue smoke on the leaky rocker arm cover. “Maybe the oil was dripping down the left side of the car and getting on the exhaust pipe”, I considered, wanting the leaky valve seal possibility to go away. I pulled the rocker arm cover off and checked it for flatness with a level. There was about 1mm of gap right where the oil was coming out. Again, “ah hah”.

Back home Friday night I took the level up to the attic spares dept and picked the most flat of the 5 spare rocker arm covers, and a good rocker arm cover gasket. Then, in a fit of sunny optimism I pressure washed and painted the rocker arm cover.

At the track Saturday morning I put on my flattest rocker arm cover with some RPV goobage and noted just how awful my paint job turned out. “By god this SOB isn’t going to leak” I thought.

“WTF?” I grumbled looking at the signs of freshly leaked oil. I put even more goobage on the cover. That was followed by some more laps, then premature celebration, then leaking, then head scratching and puzzlement.

The cause was finally discovered by Jon “Seat-Time” Krolewicz’ dad. He spotted oil burbling out of the base of the Bitch tube, the big oil return/vent tube between block and intake manifold. That ended my day because the intake manifold was going to have to come off to see what was going on with the Bitch tube.

Saturday night I pulled off the intake manifold and the whole coolant system.

Intake manifold off and radiator out for the next day’s work.

With the intake manifold off I did some “porting” of the intake manifold gaskets. For some reason intake manifold gaskets always obscure about a mm of the top half of each intake port. Nothing 30min with a dremel and many test fits can’t take care of tho.

Once the intake manifold was off I pulled out the Bitch tube and the cause of the oil leak was clear.

Seizing the opportunity, when it was time to put the intake manifold back on, I used the one from Old#6 because it had newish injectors.

I also checked some fasteners Saturday night and found, to my shock and dismay, the goddamned Jesus nut, the 304ftlb SOB that holds the lower timing belt pulley to the crankshaft, had come loose. Again. AGAIN for chrissakes. This was the 3rd time it had come loose. I’ve really used up all my luck on this engine. If that bolt had only come a little bit more loose the engine would have been toast.

I had already tried like heck to tighten the Jesus nut as best I could but even with the ebrake on, wheels chocked and trailer straps anchoring the wheels, the best I could do was to torque on the Jesus nut until the clutch slipped. I mean heck the engine is only good for ~150ftlbs of torque, so it’s not surprising that the clutch can’t hold 300ftlbs. I needed to get serious about this so it was time to step back and do some imagineering. The first problem was to hold the crankshaft so it couldn’t turn. The second problem was to apply a calibrated ass-load of torque to the bolt.

In order to get to the Jesus nut and remove the harmonic balancer, the big custom radiator, water pump pulley, and most hoses had to come out. Irksome, but couldn’t be helped.

Sunday morning I fetched a harmonic balancer from the attic spares and welded on a piece of Home Depot angle iron. The idea was that the angle iron would get trapped under a framerail and prevent the harmonic balancer from turning. And if it couldn’t turn, than the crankshaft couldn’t turn.

Next I needed a torque wrench extender. My 1/2" torque wrench is about 14" from socket nub to the center of the handle. So if I wanted 3X as much torque, I needed 3x as much lever arm or 42". So I took the rest of the angle iron and welded a 22mm socket at one end and some misc 1/2" drive socket at the other.

Then I fastened the harmonic balancer crank holder in place, put some blue locktite on the Jesus nut (ok, it’s actually a bolt but I didn’t coin the name), set the torque wrench to 105ftlbs and the Jesus nut happily tightened until the wrench clicked. It’s not very doggone often that my imagineering ideas work on their first try. It was really quite a treat.

Late Sunday night everything was back together.

One more Test and Tune day before the races this weekend.

Nice job on the crankshaft nut tool. Patent that puppy!

Scott, the only thing that will loosen that bolt is vibration…either from a poor balance job or the harmonic balancer coming apart. I would scrap that one and install another proactively. Chuck

I have to agree with Chuck. I’ve never bothered actually torque the crank bolt. If using hand tools with ~3’ levers I just give the nut as much as I can muster. If using my 3/4" drive impact wrench I let it hammer a few times. I have never had one come loose.

I don’t know what happened before I got the car, but I’m sure that I never got the Jesus nut as tight as the spec requires. Hopefully that was the cause of all this.

Re. Harmonic balancer being out of balance in some way. Nothing is impossible but it certainly looks fine. I gave it a close inspection while I was deciding which harmonic balancer to weld the angle iron to.

Dang, that could have been bad.

One of the things on my Todo list from the weekend on the track was to figure out why the steering had a big dead spot in the middle. I figured that the steering column coupling was worn and some research indicated that was going to be a pita to replace.

I put #1 son in the car to turn the wheel a little to-and-fro as I studied the complicated steering coupler assembly and figure out where the looseness was. To my surprise, what I saw was the entire steering box happily moving several mm right and left as #1 son turned the wheel.

Getting under the car I found that the 2 big bolts that fasten the steering box to the front subframe were not even finger tight. Wow, how about that? Wouldn’t it have been just dandy to be heading down RR’s front straight at 120mph and have the steering box drop entirely free of the car? Whew, that was close.

Just for the record…I never loosened those bolts. My failure was in not checking them.