The ideal tool box solution

Let me hear what you guys are doing for taking tools to events, and how it’s working for you. My enclosed trailer is a big change and I’m trying to optimize tools. It used to be that I had a primary set of tools that I used both in my garage and also at events. They packed into a toolbag, 2 toolboxes and a couple socket sets. The 2 toolboxes were for big heavy things that would overwhelm the toolbag.

AlK has a big-ass tool box in his trailer and a 2nd tool box/cart that he rolls out of the trailer and parks next to his car if need be. I can see the charm of that, but with my toolbag and favorite socket set I can deal with most anything unless I need the brake caliper spreader, which is in one of the tool boxes because everything “big” is too much for the bag.

It’s pretty darn easy to grab the bag and socket set, hustle to the car and get right to work. And the toolbag doesn’t have any sharp metal corners to damage things.

The toolbag, with it’s roll of wrenches and another roll of “everything” is pretty damned efficient. It would be hard to get all that stuff placed so logically and orderly in a real toolbox. On the other hand the toolbag is always filthy and the slightest moisture goes right thru it to my tools.

Harbor Freight needs a metric socket set that contains every conceivable 1/8", 3/8", and 1/2" socket, adapter and extension. But no SAE stuff.

I do have a semi portable box that is a 2 man lift. I could put it on a HF furniture dolly to move it around, I suppose. Kind of a kludge but it’s a nice size box.

I put a great big (CL) toolbox in the trailer, but I’m not sure that it’s really all that useful. I don’t want to have to run inside of the trailer each time I need a different size wrench. How do I make that big toolbox more useful?

Ok, so tell me what is working well for you guys.

this is something we have struggled with for a while. the best solutions are costly and everything else is a comprimise. some of the guys on the garage journal have converted this Ikea piece into a poor mans Hazet Assistent, considering it.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30216536/

drive-gear.com

I use a rolling HF 5-drawer service cart:

http://www.harborfreight.com/five-drawer-service-cart-95272.html

I keep it in my garage when I’m not at an event, and just roll it on the trailer when I load up the car. I can keep it there, or roll it out next to the car for easier access. With the pea gravel at VIR, I’m tending to leave it on the trailer, but move it next to the rear door.

that’s AlK solution too, and it’s from HF, I dont really understand how can Scott resists it :stuck_out_tongue: