Sway Bar Install

Installing the UUC Swaybarbarians. How do I install the links to ensure there is “no pre-load” to the bar? Does that mean let the control arm hang low and attach the links without raising the arm to the link or pulling the link down to the arm? What about on the fully compressed side?

Place blocks under the wheels to allow access under the car when it is resting on the wheels. Adjust the end links so that the sway bar arms are approximately parallel to the ground.

With the car loaded (1/2 tank of gas, driver’s weight in the seat/floor), set the end links where you want them. Then roll the barrel adjusters back and forth. You will feel the sweet spot where you can twist the adjuster by hand. That is the point at which there is no preload.

None of this makes any sense to me. I put the car tires on cement blocks. I laid under the car, set the end link on one side of the car (I have an adjustment issue in that I have one brand on one side, another brand of shackle on the other because the sway bar tab broke off, and they are slightly different lengths, so one is all the way tightened down, and the other is almost at the long end of adjusgment) and bolted it up tight. Then, I adjusted the other end link so that I can get the bolt in without having to torque on the sway bar to do it. Isn’t this a neutral setup with no pre-load? Any other way would have required that I lever on the sway bar and jam the heim bolt in.

I think this is right. Thoughts?

with the car level (and all the things that Steve mentioned), you just want the sway bar horizontal and snug the end-links. That makes the bar do nothing when you’re just driving straight. It’s only action is while cornering. You want it roughly horizontal so that left and right cornering torque from the bar is equal.

not to preach, but be careful of using cement blocks - hopefully you still had jackstands loosely in place to catch the body if they were to crumble.
cheers,
bruce

BigKeyserSoze wrote:

[quote]None of this makes any sense to me. I put the car tires on cement blocks. I laid under the car, set the end link on one side of the car (I have an adjustment issue in that I have one brand on one side, another brand of shackle on the other because the sway bar tab broke off, and they are slightly different lengths, so one is all the way tightened down, and the other is almost at the long end of adjusgment) and bolted it up tight. Then, I adjusted the other end link so that I can get the bolt in without having to torque on the sway bar to do it. Isn’t this a neutral setup with no pre-load? Any other way would have required that I lever on the sway bar and jam the heim bolt in.

I think this is right. Thoughts?[/quote]

Yes, this is fine. The key is that you were able to get the end link bolt to pop right in. That means there was no load on the sway bar.

Just to state a few things that are probably obvious…You need to have your weight in the driver’s seat, and your floor needs to be flat. My garage floor looks flat but is off by 0.2deg so I have to put a 1/4" of plywood under my left wheels.

Having trouble installing the UUC rear sway bar. I can’t get the lower bolts lines up to the OEM holes. It almost seems like the bar is a little short. With the bushed pushed out to the bend, the brackets cant inboard and wont line up. The car is straight, and I have the bar installed so the center bend it up when the bar is level. What I’m I doing wrong?

Just got off the phone with UUC, they sending the new bar to me. Seems they made a change to address this issue. Great customer service.

I managed to fit their bar. But you are right, it is too short.

New bar fits great, easy to install

Could you send me a picture? I have the UUC bar. I might ring them up if your fits better then what I have.

Sorry, just saw this

I did have to compress the u-clamp to get clearance for the nuts.

Thanks for the pics… Looks like I have the same bar. Not the best fitting bar. Does it scrape the undercoating over the diff?

A little bit.

I use the UUC 16mm rear sway bar. I used my existing adjustable endlinks so I can’t comment on the UUC hardware. I can say that I think the 16mm rear bar is perfect for my car. I run SCCA E production (EP) and have a ground control suspension that is similar to the suspension you guys run.