Sunroof metal tray

Can we cut out the sunroof cassete tray that the sunroof sits in when open? It would make it easier to get the cage closer to the roof if we can take this piece out. Not sure if the rules specifically allow removal of this piece. TIA

9.3.13.25. The sunroof cassette mechanism may be removed so long as a replacement panel is either securely sealed (welded/bonded) or secured in place with retaining clips as specified in the CCR.

Yes (but as always wait for Carter). IIRC there should be a thread or two about it.

Igor

yes you can remove the whole mechanism that the sunroof slides in (the cassette). There are three main attachments to cut through on each side - then if you are really lucky like I was, the 20 yo adhesive in the back part will just let go.
cheers,
bruce

I ditched it and it was surprisingly heavy. When my cage installer used a torch to cut it out, he caught the rubber drain lines on fire. They smoldered undetected for awhile until the paint on the roof bubbled up. No big deal, since my paint is shot and I need a respray anyway, but be careful if you’ve got a nice exterior.

Sasha

Thanks guys, I found the other threads also.

Simon:

As you have done, it’s always good to ask first, and do later… to avoid having to "un-do."

:slight_smile:

And yes, Bruce and the others are correct.

Carter

Instead of starting a new thread with pretty much the same question, I figured I would just bump this for some clarification.

Just to be safe, is this the section that we are allowed to cut out? I’m pretty sure it is the metal tray discussed in this thread and others, but it would suck if I was wrong and cut it out.
sunroof1
sunroof2

Thanks,
Sean

yes

The lattice can be cut, but I’d leave the gutter around the opening in place, unless you like a soggy interior, or if you use a filler plate that’s bigger than the hole.

Thanks