Summit Aug results/video/recap

Ok. Let’s hear it and see it. I heard of a big pile up in turn 3. How was everybody’s weekend?

I ran in TT and had a blast with Sean Thompson. It seemed like our cars were exactly matched. Tons of fun but no video.

I lost about 2.5 seconds from the last time at Summit. Not sure what the issue is, but I’m going to check some of the suspects that I have read about here. TPS, MAF, old crusty tires:blink:

At any rate, I had a great time. These cars are tanks and never give up. I love it!

Jason

First time at Summit. A day of DE, race on Sunday without qualifying due to an incontinent fire system on Sat, fixed with the help of OG Sunday morning.

Everybody at Mid Atlantic was great, even for us old slow NE guys. Paddock with Dwight Varnes and Bob Ott, met a bunch of other Spec E 30 guys. Great track, with Cobetto and Grace duking til both went off on 10 (just after they lapped me…).

The big one on 3 was a 944 (what else) dumping oil and at least 4 that I saw get taken out. Everyone ok, I understand. We finished under yellow.

A challenging and enjoyable intro to Summit and MA. Thanks, Carter,for making it work for me. I’ll be back…

I’m compiling a list of helpful rules for racers. Two are thus:

1. When you bring your wife to the track for the first time, it’s not a good idea to have her watch from turn 10. Well, it’s okay, provided you don’t go off at 75+ MPH right where she’s standing.

2. It is very wise to have someone other than you (the driver) activate the camera before heading out onto the track. With this in mind, it is much easier to blame someone else when you fail to capture any of what may be the most exciting race of your season.

Those dealt with, here’s how my weekend went: Saturday’s race I qualified 8th out of 11 with lap times that made me kind of annoyed. For a track I know so well, they weren’t great. I did get progressively faster throughout the weekend though, so I guess I shouldn’t complain. I finished 6th after being 5th for a few laps, passed by one of the Drive Gear cars like I was standing still. Not sure who that was who went off in 10 but he wasted no time in moving back up.

So impressed by his prowess racing through the grass outside T10 I chose to do the very same thing on Sunday, losing 3 places from a start of P8 again. Bob Ott, Chris McIntyre and “that black E30” went scooting past as I tested the durability of my skid plate. I caught and passed Black E30 through no great prowess of my driving, caught McIntyre and did my best to harass him into a mistake. Being he’d never been on the track before Saturday I found him braking early at a few spots. If I had the video I’d be sure but I think we had another car somewhere around that factored into my pass attempt at T3. Chris checked up a bit and I went wide to avoid punting him and saw glorious, car-free daylight on the outside…forgetting briefly that T3 continues to turn left from where I was. So through the gravel I went, across some grass, past a likely aghast and certainly saner Chris and ahead one more position. So Alex Zanardi ain’t the only guy who can do that sort of thing, though I suspect he wasn’t pleading “please don’t crash” the entire time like I did. Lucky for those of us at the back we saw the oil smoke cloud far ahead before getting to the debris flag and the soaked line at T3. I watched two 944s get beached while somehow making it through by choosing the inside entry to the corner. Two other E30s were not so lucky. After the smoke cleared and the race ended under yellow I (think I) finished 5th. Two exciting excursions through the grass…I hope not to repeat those any time soon. I did manage to tear the exhaust system off the car driving it onto the trailer (undamaged).

Oh yeah, and I won a set of brake pads from Saturday’s performance in the team challenge. :stuck_out_tongue:

cmcintyre wrote:

So what was up with your fire system that kept you out of the race??? Or did you do a day of DE to learn the track and then it went off on Sunday AM and kept you from qualifying. That must have been fun to clean up.

Hey, at least I knew my shoes wouldn’t catch fire…

It got loose from the bracket and activated the lever in the middle of last run on Sat. I would advise safety wiring the flimsy hold downs to prevent this. Also, it didn’t discharge in a big foaming gush. More like a can of leaking shaving cream. Clean up was paper towels and mumbled curses. I’m going to put air pressure on the lines to make sure they’re cleared out. System is a 5 lb from I/O with 3 nozzles.

It was after 5. OG Racing didn’t open until 9 on Sunday and qualifying was at 0830. Got a legal extinguisher and bolted it up and ok’d. Went Racing.

C.

cmcintyre wrote:

[quote]Hey, at least I knew my shoes wouldn’t catch fire…

It got loose from the bracket and activated the lever in the middle of last run on Sat. I would advise safety wiring the flimsy hold downs to prevent this. Also, it didn’t discharge in a big foaming gush. More like a can of leaking shaving cream. Clean up was paper towels and mumbled curses. I’m going to put air pressure on the lines to make sure they’re cleared out. System is a 5 lb from I/O with 3 nozzles.

It was after 5. OG Racing didn’t open until 9 on Sunday and qualifying was at 0830. Got a legal extinguisher and bolted it up and ok’d. Went Racing.

C.[/quote]

Next time come see us at the Drive Gear trailer. We have a spare extinguisher you could have borrowed to not miss qualifying…

They also have lengths of hose (thanks again, guys!). :slight_smile:

This is my first post here, but as I build an e30 for track, I stop by here frequently to get tips and info, should I ever become dedicated enough to be fully SE30-compliant.

That being said, I want to throw it out there that if someone is ever at SP and has an absolute must-get-to-a-garage-to-fix-this issue, I live only 20 minutes from SP and am willing to let someone pull in for a last-minute repair.

On a slightly-related note, I hope to have my e30 up and running soon and to get in on at least one event at SP in my e30 this year. So far, my daily-driven Legacy is the only thing that has seen track time.

phenryiv1 wrote:

[quote]This is my first post here, but as I build an e30 for track, I stop by here frequently to get tips and info, should I ever become dedicated enough to be fully SE30-compliant.

That being said, I want to throw it out there that if someone is ever at SP and has an absolute must-get-to-a-garage-to-fix-this issue, I live only 20 minutes from SP and am willing to let someone pull in for a last-minute repair.

On a slightly-related note, I hope to have my e30 up and running soon and to get in on at least one event at SP in my e30 this year. So far, my daily-driven Legacy is the only thing that has seen track time.[/quote]

come drive shenandoah with trackdaze in early oct, i’ll have my se30 car there. much more fun than sp main in a small car.

or shenandoah with nj bmw club sep 11-12 weekend :slight_smile:

On the fire system…I had an SPA system, ripped it out of the car on the side of the interstate to put out a car fire, got the same shaving can action…what gives? It was a year and a half old…I was so pissed but never got around to calling the supplier…

Also on the hand held, I always add a zip tie in case the latch(es) let go, some tech guys used to question that, but if there is a fire and you cannot break one zip tie you need help.

Al

Started P2 on Saturday, took the lead on lap one, lead for a good while then bobbled it in T10 and Chris got by…I was right with him until his motor mounts broke, pulled his coolant hose and he started dumping fluid everywhere…we were both sliding around a good bit and as Chris dove for the pit lane Frans slipped past me. Finished P2.

Sunday I started on pole, lead probably 85% of the race until this happened:

http://vimeo.com/14421929

Thems goes the breaks as Jon Allen says.

AHHH Dude that is a crappy break!!!
But now you have dents on both sides.
Need a red front fender???