Stronger guibo. Aftermarket AL part.

https://www.revshift.com/shop/bmw/e30/flex-disc-couplers.php

Spotted this. Interesting. Certainly we all have replaced our orig guibos because by the time we get the car the original guibo is shot. But has anyone installed a new OEM guibo and then wore it out? Are there other advantages to this other than it’s additional durability? Like sure, AL subframe bushings are very durable, but they get bought because of the additional suspension “precision”, not because of additional durability.

Here’s a review at e30tech. http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105530&highlight=revshift

The guy’s write-up reads to me somewhat like someone putting a CAI on a car, hearing the increased volume, and then deciding that he’s gained 10hp. That is to say, he “wanted” better performance so he got it.

I’m not sure that I buy the idea that the rotational stiffness of the drivetrain, as opposed to it moving up and down, is increased by this AL guibo. If the driveshaft wanted to rotate in a slightly different way than the tranny output shaft, it would have to overcome the clamping force of the bolts. I’m not sure that the AL in this guibo changes that any. The steel cylinders that the bolts go thru will likely increase NVH, but will that high freq stiffness translate to lower freq stiffness that the driver can actually feel?

Near as I can tell the AL guibo is not legal for us. It’s not really covered under the “driveshaft can be substituted” nor “suspension bushings are free” rules.

I’m of the opinion that this would not be legal since the only rule on the drive shaft has the word substituted. Meaning only OE or equal parts. And from what I’ve heard it may not be a good idea. It is pretty stiff and moves loads elsewhere on the drive train.

…and OEM part is cheap in comparison, so better to wear it out that a gearbox/clutch/diff

I agree, the part is cheap. Just change it every other year when you rebuild the calipers, change the timing belt, replace the wheel studs, etc.