street tire recommendation?

Hi all, I’m new to the forum. Working my way up from an HPDE car ('91 325i) to Spec e30. Figured someone here would have a good recommendation for good street tires for HPDE? I’ve heard Star Spec are a good choice, but thought I’d ask the experts. Thanks, Jeff in Chicago

Kumho Ecsta XS

Cheap and pretty sticky!

[quote=“FishMan” post=63556]Kumho Ecsta XS

Cheap and pretty sticky![/quote]

Agreed, ran those for about a year while getting my race license.

thanks guys…got a tire size recommendation for the good ol 16" Kosei K-1 rims?

Personally, I think the Kumhos are old tech at this point. However, they give LOTS of feedback and make lots of noise before finally breaking away.
I would be looking at the StarSpecs, RE 11’s, or maybe Advan Neovas. All are available in the “spec” size on TireRack and you can compare them there.
You COULD run full-tread RA-1’s, just as an option…

I have had great luck with Dunlop StarSpecs.

I think the hankook rs3 is the cheapest option and the best street tire for autox. I couldn’t tell you how they hold up at the track though.

I knew there was one more I was forgetting! The RS3’s are good, too, if you can get them in your size.

Phil’s Tire Service has RS-3’s (225/45/15) for $119 ea.

http://www.philsracetires.com/contact-us/

Why not get the toyo ra1 or r888, which .you want to get familiar with… Look around and used ones can be had very cheap. Or you can get them new with full tread. I think my first r888s with full tread lasted for over 60 track sessions plus some road mileage. But u might want to go ahead and get the spec 15 inch wheels too.

RS-3 are 104$ on TR. That’s reason enough for me.

Another vote for the Kumho XS in 205/50/15 size. I ran them for over 10 DE weekends and a time trial weekend and they were just as sticky as when I first got them. I actually sold them to a buddy to run on his Miata when I switched to the RA1s.