Steering rack rules quesiton

9.3.7. Steering
9.3.7.1. [color=#FF0000]Steering components may be substituted.[/color]
9.3.7.2. Power steering pump and associated plumbing may be removed.
9.3.7.3. Power steering hoses may be replaced.
9.3.7.4. Power steering belts may be removed.

What does that mean? Can I run an E36 rack?

Using E36 rack (or it’s turn ratio) would be nice, but at least the way I read rules is that we can’t because:

[quote]
8.4. "Substituted" means that original OEM equivalent items may be used.[/quote]

Of course Carter has a last word…

Igor

8.4. "Substituted" means that original OEM equivalent items may be used.

(oops, just realized that Igor beat me to the punch on the 8.4 quote)

Igor and Bruce are correct…but it’s good that you asked prior to doing it.

Mike and I have finalized the Rules (just a few minor changes) and Mike referenced the definitions of "Replaced" etc. in the body of the Rules so it should be more clear.

We’ll post them very soon; possibly today. But again, there are no significant changes and I highly doubt that anyone will change anything on their car.

Carter

kinda old tread here…

can a 95 M3 rack be used???

NASA144 wrote:

[quote]kinda old tread here…

can a 95 M3 rack be used???[/quote]
Sure. That meets the “OEM equivalent” definition in my “Cheating for Dummies” reference book. :woohoo: :laugh: :stuck_out_tongue:

Steve D wrote:

[quote]NASA144 wrote:

[quote]kinda old tread here…

can a 95 M3 rack be used???[/quote]
Sure. That meets the “OEM equivalent” definition in my “Cheating for Dummies” reference book. :woohoo: :laugh: :P[/quote]

Steve, such sarcasm… :wink:

To clarify what Steve said, Para graph 3.4. of our rules reads “Substituted means that original OEM equivalent items may be used.” So unless your M3 rack meets this criteria, you should not use it.

4 to 4 lock vs. 3 to 3 variable… doesn’t seem like an advantage to me.

Doesn’t matter whether there is an advantage or not. The two are not OEM equivalent. The substitued word is normally added to allow you to replace OEM parts with non OEM aftermarket parts that are direct replacements for OEM parts. Things like FAG wheel bearings, control arms, and other such parts that aren’t OEM BMW ($$$).

King Tut wrote:

Thtop making fun of my wheel bearingth.

1 vote here for rule change…

NASA144 wrote:

Why on earth? Because YOU happen to have one laying around?

Seriously, there are about a bazillion E30 racks in existence just waiting to be refurbished and put on a race car. So I’m pretty sure an E36 M3 rack isn’t cheaper. I’ve never heard of an E30 rack failing, so it’s not a durability question…

Whoa, newbie here! I’m not saying that everyone needs to invest in a costly e36 M3 rack. I am lucky to own one, of course at the cost of that concrete wall at 8-SP. But so far my experience on track with the oe rack and my sparco wheel is undesirable. Just seems to be a safer fit for smaller wheels. Guess I’ll need to get use to it :frowning:

But… Do you think it would be an advantage?

Thanks!

Yes, the quicker ratio would be an advantage. More on a tight track, of course.

But that is kind of beside the point. IMHO rule changes shoul make racing cheaper and/or safer or should address a widespread problem.

NASA144 wrote:

[quote]Whoa, newbie here! I’m not saying that everyone needs to invest in a costly e36 M3 rack. I am lucky to own one, of course at the cost of that concrete wall at 8-SP. But so far my experience on track with the oe rack and my sparco wheel is undesirable. Just seems to be a safer fit for smaller wheels. Guess I’ll need to get use to it :frowning:

But… Do you think it would be an advantage?

Thanks![/quote]

The SpecE30 philosophy is not always clear at first glance. A request for a rule change requires a strong justification because change is bad. “No advantage” is not a justification. “Safer”, “cheaper”, “more reliable”, “more fair”,… those are justifications that might get a rule change approved.