Steering Column

So, as some know - my stolen racecar was recovered in the hood of Cleveland, OH about a month ago. Still trying to fix the damage (or have it fixed).

So - they cracked the steering column, and did whatever with the cylinder and cracked the wiper control while they where in there… I am going to have the wiper stalk fixed - how much of the ignition do I need to bring back to life? Do I need a regular ignition switch, with a key, or is a .30 cent radio shack setup ok?

Just trying to get back to running with the least out of pocket. I know, with the spirit of this group nobody would protest me, but I want to do be outside the rules either.

TIA!

jblack wrote:

[quote]So, as some know - my stolen racecar was recovered in the hood of Cleveland, OH about a month ago. Still trying to fix the damage (or have it fixed).

So - they cracked the steering column, and did whatever with the cylinder and cracked the wiper control while they where in there… I am going to have the wiper stalk fixed - how much of the ignition do I need to bring back to life? Do I need a regular ignition switch, with a key, or is a .30 cent radio shack setup ok?

Just trying to get back to running with the least out of pocket. I know, with the spirit of this group nobody would protest me, but I want to do be outside the rules either.

TIA![/quote]

Damn, glad you got the car back anyway, sounds like the damage is not too bad. If you need help with anything at all lemme know, parts at steep discounts (read basically cost) to help you out in any way I can.

Good luck, I hope it all comes back together ok.

I don’t remember anything in the rules that specifically covers this, but I suppose it could fall under the "If it doesn’t say you can…". It would seem to me that a simple toggle for ignition and a momentary contact for the starter would be an acceptable substitute for the trashed ignition switch. There’s obviously no competitive advange to be gained.

There was a discussion about this before:

http://spece30.com/component/option,com_mamboboard/Itemid,68/func,view/id,10038/catid,3/limit,10/limitstart,80/

Essentially, it’s "illegal" however no one is going to protest an ignition switch (that I know of). Ideally a modification to the rules will be made in my opinion.

Wiring a push button is a piece of cake on the E30. Once you have access to the electical part of the switch you will see a bunch of wires. The solid green and the red need to be wired to an "on-off" switch. The black wire is the one that activates the starter. Wire that along with a splice from the red to a momentary switch or a push button and you’re all set. Hope this helps.

Ricky

Thanks guys - maybe I could try to get it going like the way my "friends" did when it was gone…

And Jack - thanks

First of all, it’s good that the car was recovered so you can join the Spec E30 crowd.

Secondly, we cannot officially endorse something that is clearly outside of the Rules. And if someone protests you, or it becomes a trend among the cars, official action will be taken to require a stock ignition switch.

But until then…

Carter