Stainless steel brake pistons

Are they allowed in spec racing?

No offense, but have you read the rules?

In spec racing, if it’s allowed, the rules will say so. If it’s not in the rules, then it’s not allowed.

Wasn’t sure if any oem cars had stainless steel pistons or if it could be done within the rules . I have the rules pdf up in the next window. Just trying to make sure when I get the car teched it’s within the rules. Sorry to offend you with a dumb question

Are polyurethane bushings allowed in sway bar links? Im new to this humor me

“They are a direct replacement for the stock pistons in your Ate caliper.”

I’m actually pretty certain they’re legal now

No one’s likely to care what your slave pistons are made of, but in general terms it is important to be wary of deviating from OEM. Read the rule book very carefully. If the car will go to nationals, one should know the rule book like the back of their hand.

It’s been a while since I rebuilt E30 calipers, but you’re probably right to assume that they are stainless steel. The whole “direct replacement” thing is nothing to take comfort from tho. That’s just marketing foolishness. The phrase has no clear definition.

Sway bar endlinks are steel. The bushings that hold on to the bar are non-metallic, some Urethane, some rubber, some a mystery.

I do understand your point. Not everything is in the rules. Those of us that have been doing this a long time are so familiar with the various conventions for different parts, that we don’t even think of it any more. I can understand how someone just building a car, would have lots of questions. But that’s why the forum and the fb page are here.

I got a set of the Meyle HD sway bar links for the front. Is that something I should reconsider or will it depend on how nit picky the tech inspection is? Considering how cheap oem links are i may just roll the dice and buy a back up set of those in case they say something

Also i installed the proflex sway bark link bushing the link to bar. but I also ordered the ST rear sway bar which comes with its own links i’ve found out. so i wasted quite a bit of time tearing out the the old rubber sway bar link bushings, but they feel great on the sway bar I’m not using.

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/product/pfr5-316-bmw-e36-e30-e28-e24-rear-sway-bar-link-to-sway-bar-bushing-2874

since technically these links aren’t “provided with the bars from the manufacturer are permitted”, and although they maintain the same proportions as far as mounting they aren’t OEM. Now we could take the precedent set with rear links “After market rear end links are allowed.” to apply to front links. but since it isn’t explicitly stated I feel like it’s sort of up to the inspector or if they notice

Should be ok for front sway bar links to be aftermarket, as long as they aren’t something tricky that would allow one to make a non-adjustable bar, adjustable. That is to say, the endlinks need to be able to vary in length, but they can’t vary the length of the bar itself. A longer bar is a weaker bar, hence adjustable. I don’t know that such a thing actually exists, but the rules need to be written in a way that discourages imagineering.

I’ll submit a rule change request to the group leaders for debate this fall. Good find.

They maintain the same suspension geometry as far as I know, they are just supposed to be sturdier