Squeak after time belt water pump change..?

False alarm! The brain dead mechanic (me) did not tighten the two bolts that hold the top of the radiator in place… They were not even finger tight, and top hose was getting loose (this prose is the epilogue).

Changed timing belt and water pump a couple weeks back. now, whenever it is idling, I hear a “reee reee reee”… When revving you can’t really hear it but I am not sure if it is just getting drowned out by the other noises. Sound is definitely coming from belt area, it is also a new alternator belt, and I have adjusted this belt tighter and looser to no change in noise.

I guess I am going to unhook the alt belt and start it up and see if sound is still there… I hate to think it is my new water pump. (it was not!!)

Any problem with starting car without alt belt? I wld only run it 20seconds or so to see if squeak is still there.
Any advice would be much appreciated; my mechanical skills are just above bicycle level.

From a cold start you could run the engine for at least a couple of minutes and do no harm.

When you replaced the timing belt did you also replace the tensioner?

Yes, new tensioner is on. With radiator properly attached the squeak is gone. Seems to be running great with new spark plugs and my first valve adjustment.
Next job is a new temp gauge, or maybe a temp light.

Good to know it is ok to run without alt if needed.