Spec Tire Rule

All:

This morning, I sent an email to Ryan Flaherty, NASA’s National Chairman, that explained our concerns and disappointments with the R888, and asked about our role in the recent tire announcement. His response, along with other text -

“…please make a specific announcement to your group and I will modify our announcement to exclude Spec Focus and E30 since your group has already transitioned.”

So, they understand that it was a mistake to include us in the announcement and they will correct it.

Plus, I have heard from present and future racers, and others throughout the day and we all agree that while the R888 in its current form is not ideal for Spec E30, it would be much worse to make changes now.

I also asked Ryan for an opportunity to speak with NASA and Toyo via conference call, and clearly explained that I would conduct myself in a business-professional way, but Ryan didn’t feel that would be productive. Ryan said that he will get answers to our specific questions.

Therefore, the Regional Directors and I will compile a list of questions and concerns, based on our true experiences at the track and after using the R888 over the 2008 season. While I feel that we will have most all bases covered, if you have specific questions, send them to your Regional Director.

I will post the questions and Toyo’s answers here.

With that, we can all make the most of the tire and should see some improvement in performance and durability.

Carter Hunt
Spec E30 National Series Director

All:

Just a couple of hours ago, it was brought to my attention that NASA National has decided, after meeting with Toyo, to allow the RA-1 in all spec tire classes, including Spec E30, for the remainder of the 2009 season.

While a similar announcement was made a few months ago, that was not supposed to include Spec E30 and Spec Focus (and was corrected), this announcement does include all Toyo spec tire classes including Spec E30. We know that April 1st can be a day of pranks and jokes but Spec E30 has been assured by NASA National that this announcement is real.

Spec E30 understands that the RA-1 is no longer available for purchase from Toyo so this recent notice does not significantly affect our series. This decision is primarily designed to help other series that have recently been using the RA-1 and have drivers who still have a significant inventory of RA-1 tires.

And while NASA National can make decisions regarding what is allowed, or not allowed, at their race weekends, Spec E30 has requested inclusion in future discussions that may potentially affect our series.

But again, this recent announcement has very little, if any, affect on Spec E30.

Carter Hunt

4-3-09

10:10 am Eastern

Tire Update.

All:

Spec E30 continued discussions yesterday with NASA National regarding the recent announcement that the Toyo RA-1 is approved for use in all spec tire classes, including Spec E30, through the end of the 2009 racing season.

During those conversations, it was made clear that we are definitely included. NASA National also feels that there is no performance advantage with either the RA-1 or the R888, although many of our drivers feel otherwise.

Spec E30’s continued official position is that one spec tire is preferred, and Spec E30 does not agree with this recent decision, although we do believe the decision was made in good faith. Also, Spec E30 continues to maintain a strong relationship with the NASA National Office.

As was mentioned here previously, it is Spec E30’s understanding that the RA-1 is no longer available from Toyo. While researching this situation this morning, we were told that production ended in August of last year and that there is a national backorder for the RA-1.

Additionally, Stan Chen, the Toyo Motorsports manager is supposed to issue a statement to all Toyo Motorsports Dealers either today or Monday to explain Toyo’s plans to deal with this situation.

Spec E30 was as suprised as anyone, regarding this, and we will continue to try to be another source of information for our drivers. As soon as we hear any additional information, we will post it here as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Carter Hunt

announcement at http://www.nasaproracing.com/

[quote]Toyo Tires® Renews Longtime Sponsorship with NASA
August 11, 2009 7:48 AM — The National Auto Sport Association announces it is renewing its longtime partnership with Toyo Tires; extending its contract for an additional three years beginning January 1, 2010. As a part of this extension, all NASA spec tire classes will be going back to the Toyo Proxes RA1 as the required tire. This will become effective January 1, 2010 with a three-weekend grace period to allow the use of the previously allowed R888 tires. “This move was made in response to customer input, and we hope the racers will be pleased by this announcement. The RA1 has become a favorite amongst many NASA racers and has proven itself for speed, consistency, and longevity,“ said NASA’s National Chairman Ryan Flaherty.

NASA Competition Racing has a wide variety of road racing classes designed to welcome both entry level and seasoned racers who wish to compete wheel to wheel. Toyo Tires’ Proxes® RA1™ is an R-compound, street legal competition radial and is the spec tire for several classes in this exciting program.

“NASA and Toyo Tires have enjoyed a successful relationship for 14 years and we look forward to adding another three years to that run,” said Jerry Kunzman NASA’s Executive Director. “In our opinion Toyo has always had the best interest of their customers in mind so it’s great to see the relationship continue in this manner.”

“Toyo Tires is proud to continue our sponsorship of NASA road racing,” said Stan Chen, manager of events and motorsports, Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. “Our Proxes RA1 has long been popular with amateur and professional racers and is a great fit with this exciting series.”

Great for vehicles ranging from sport compacts to European and American muscle machines, the Proxes RA1 is cost-effective by delivering excellent wear and winning consistency on the track. NASA classes using the Proxes RA1 include: American Iron, Camaro-Mustang Challenge, Factory Five Challenge, Honda Challenge, Spec 3/Spec e30 (BMW), Spec Focus, Spec Miata, and 944-spec.

To learn more about the many driving opportunities provided by NASA, whether racing or high-performance training, log on to nasaproracing.com. To learn more about the full line of Proxes tires from Toyo Tires, log on to toyotires.com. Toyo Tires manufactures and distributes a complete line of replacement tires for high performance cars, luxury vehicles, light trucks and SUVs as well as tires for commercial trucks, buses and off-road and construction applications.
[/quote]

Many thanks to Bruce for posting this message from NASA National.

Many of our racers (as well as racers in other classes) have not been pleased with the Toyo R888 and NASA National has taken this step to help improve the racing experience.

Carter Hunt