Spec Exhaust purchase & install from a newbie

Just want to share my recent experience buying and installing the spec exhaust. First, my communications with Paul Poore were all positive and he was responsive. The system arrived in good shape. Best thing I did was to take it to be installed at a local independent muffler shop (Kwik-Way in Santa Clara, CA) that has been in business 50 years. They did a great job! Even added another hanger near the back and welded the entire system so there will be no leaks. All for $100. I’m a real happy camper…

Nice. I’ve actually kinda wondered if it’s worth welding the exhaust to be “fully” – or at least better – sealed. My y-collector is just tack welded to the down pipes.

I imagine an exhaust leak really only affects low end torque since you’ll get less scavenging. At high revs, I didn’t think it made a difference. shrug

Som

[quote=“Som” post=81039]Nice. I’ve actually kinda wondered if it’s worth welding the exhaust to be “fully” – or at least better – sealed. My y-collector is just tack welded to the down pipes.

I imagine an exhaust leak really only affects low end torque since you’ll get less scavenging. At high revs, I didn’t think it made a difference. shrug

Som[/quote]

Muffler guys insisted that welding would prevent leaks (which rob HP) and make the overall system stronger and easier to remove in 1 piece.

I have one of the early systems. The clamps didn’t fit well so I had the shop weld it together. I’d rather have some clamps because in order to get to much of the car’s underside, I have to take the whole system off, a pita with my scissor life.

I’m happy to accept that leaks in the manifold or maybe downtube might have a performance impact, but a leak after the downtube?..hard to buy that there would be a performance impact with a leak that far down in the system.

I can appreciate the difficulty working on a scissor lift.