Spec exhaust improvement?

After fighting the Spec exhaust on, back off, then back on again it occurred to me that if the front connection had flanges it would be; a) more secure, b) a lot easier to remove and reinstall. If I can find the right flanges I may just do that.

I think the down pipe from the headers is probably stainless, so I’d need a pair of stainless flanges and a pair of mild steel flanges with slightly differing bores but the same outside dimensions and bolt pattern. A bit of web searching didn’t turn up any sources that listed dimensions. That would have made it too easy…

maybe ping Paul Poore pooresports@verizon.net – 215-766-2555
about it. Sounds like a good idea.
bruce

I plan to talk to Paul about it next week. It would not be difficult to retro fix existing exhausts and if Paul agrees, new exhausts could come with the parts necessary. The trick looks to be coming up with the flanges. I suspect that I’d have to get the flanges with the bores sized for the smaller of the two pipes and open up the mild steel flanges to fit the spec exhaust tubing. That’s easy enough to do with a mill and boring bar.

I could see the exhaust being delivered “as is”, but with the flanges. That allows someone to install the exhaust like it is now. Or if they want a better solution having the flanges welded on.

Paul & I talked about this and he agrees that it sounds like a good idea. Now we just need to come up with a source for the flanges.

Would the rules committee have a cow if I asked if I could put a Catalytic converter in the spec exhaust? I plan to drive my car to events and keep it road legal and still beat Frank and Dave. :wink:

If the rules are enforced as written, adding a catalytic converter to a Spec exhaust makes that exhaust illegal. But the rules do allow a car that is driven to the track to have an off the shelf commercial exhaust. So if you run a standard exhaust with catalytic converter you are legal.

You can always order an extra mid-pipe from Paul - and have an E-bay cat welded into it for the street, then swap back to the non-cat midpipe for the track.

See my “Spec E30 exhaust on a street car” thread.

This worked well enough to pass Texas emissions - idle and 2500 RPM no load tailpipe sniffer for CO and HC. 2500 passed easily, idle (750 RPM) was close…

Of course it also sounds like a Honda Civic with a Big Fart Can exhaust on it - but maybe they all do…

It is easy enough to add a catalytic converter to the Spec exhaust, but the rules say that the exhaust has to be used with no modifications.

So… Wonder if I need CARB approval … sdfjhdsfjkshfqjkwefweCaliforniajgasdkajhdqwhdqwne

No way you’ll get CARB approval for an Ebay cat - it is not a stock cat and it not in the stock location, but how carefully do they inspect your car when they smog it?

If they are looking for a stock cat & location, you’re only hope is to make a “quick detach” stock cat and muffler system to use for inspection, then slip on the spec exhaust for the track days.

jlevie - note that I have an extra non-cat midpipe for track days - and that will go on the car for racing, giving me a legal exhaust.