Spec e30 Exhaust

Need some help doing a last minute SE30 Exhaust install.

I’ve seen plenty of posts on where to cut the factory down-pipe, however we don’t have the stock system on the car. The previous owner had a magna-flow setup that is welded to the factory downpipe(s). So we have no reference for where to cut. Anyone have thoughts on good places to measure from My current concern is the existing system may be welded where this new system needs to clamp.

Anyone in the central Ohio area with an old OE down-pipe they’d like to sell? We’d love to keep the existing setup intact if possible. Would make a nice DE exhaust for someone.

Thanks!

I wouldn’t rule out welding. We had problems with the clamps at the downtubes. Finally just said “heck with it” and welded all the joints.

Yeah that was originally “Plan B”. Especially after looking at the clamps. The hard part is knowing where to cut. I suppose we could drag the car over to the local exhaust guy and have him cut and weld it. But that could cost some bucks. Thx…

I’ll take a pic of mine and post it tomorrow mid-morning if you can wait. If you’re lucky, and I can do it all “one-person’ed”, I’ll hold a tape measure up for reference… No promises.

When Patton and I installed mine, we didn’t have a useful reference, so we elected to just cut the downpipes conservatively using a cheap electric cutter, then use a BFH and block of wood to bang section 2 into 1 and 3 into 2, and then see how the rear hangers lined up with the rubber donuts. Whack and trim, whack and trim, until it looked passable.

Oddly enough (yes I know I am lucky) this system hangs no lower than my old muffler Mike setup. My guess is the later, jig-made units are more consistent in bend and fit.

I ran one event on just the clamps, and then welded it up afterwards.

TheRedBaron wrote:

Thanks> I haven’t touched it yet. Spent the evening rebuilding the front calipers. We had one sticking just a bit. Looking forward to your pics.

ctbimmer wrote:

Welding seems to be the consensus. I’ll chat with the local muffler guy tomorrow and see if I can get the car in.

I didn’t weld mine and honestly wouldn’t recommend it. If you damage a piece you can replace it in sections. YMMV.

Hey Kyle! We met at the Chin VIR event last week. I was driving the black POS that you and Jeremy came over to check out.

Not sure if I told you, but we cut the stock exhaust right at the cat. If you can find a stock downpipe, I’d go for that. Install was a snap - no welds, everything fit perfect except we had to flatten the pipe a bit where it passed under the subframe.

I’ll see if I can dig up pics. Good luck!

Scotty wrote:

[quote]Hey Kyle! We met at the Chin VIR event last week. I was driving the black POS that you and Jeremy came over to check out.

Not sure if I told you, but we cut the stock exhaust right at the cat. If you can find a stock downpipe, I’d go for that. Install was a snap - no welds, everything fit perfect except we had to flatten the pipe a bit where it passed under the subframe.

I’ll see if I can dig up pics. Good luck![/quote]

Hey Scott! Good to hear from you. I think we’re gonna tackle the exhaust install tomorrow evening. The current concern is that the existing system is welded right where we need to cut. But we may have some wiggle room. I’m trying to source a stock downpipe right now. Unfortunately most of the salvage yards around here recycle cats on older cars and toss the rest. I have a couple more places to check in the AM. Keep your fingers crossed. Thx!

The tape measure starts at the rear edge of the front swaybar (photo/camera doesn’t compensate for parallax). The front most piece of the spec exhaust slides on all the way to the 12" mark, pretty much on the nose… so essentially cut the original exhaust 15" or so from the rear edge of the swaybar. The weld you see after the clamp is part of the collector (where the twin pipes merge into one). Hope this helps:

Craig,

Many thanks! That helps a lot!