Sonoma 2/9-10/2013

It looks like there will be showers Thursday and Friday then tapering off in the afternoon. Depending on where you are totals for the whole event will be unimpressive ranging from .20” to .75” in the coastal hills. Saturday and Sunday morning will be cold, temps in the low 30’s and some frost, as the high returns there will be gradual warming, day time highs in the low to mid 60’s

Who’s testing Friday???

Scoot, going to need to tint my rear view mirror B) Well done!

[quote=“poppy” post=70646]It looks like there will be showers Thursday and Friday then tapering off in the afternoon. Depending on where you are totals for the whole event will be unimpressive ranging from .20” to .75” in the coastal hills. Saturday and Sunday morning will be cold, temps in the low 30’s and some frost, as the high returns there will be gradual warming, day time highs in the low to mid 60’s

Who’s testing Friday???

Scoot, going to need to tint my rear view mirror B) Well done![/quote]

You’re probably going to need a tinted visor for your helmet too :wink:

Jim and I plan on testing Friday.

I heard Ferrario has been testing up there all winter!:laugh:

Who is the Friday test session through so I can get the cost?

FYI, I still havent gotten my car out of the body shop WTF!

Larry fraser will be testing friday with gregory
new car, shaking it down. see you guys on saterday i am hoping to pick up my car from the body shop saterday

Open testing through Sonoma Raceway

http://www.racesonoma.com/raceway/rental/testing/

Hey there, guys.

I’m not making a great start to my first season with SE30 by missing the first race weekend. :frowning: I’m the “Thomas” in “Neville/Thomas” this season.

Looking forward to going wheel-to-wheel with you guys in March. :woohoo:

Cheers,

Dean

I am heading out to test today, looking forward to seeing everyone and getting the season started!

I won’t be up till sat am.i heard bill Shawhan was cranking som 1:56’s. Better than ferrarios 1:57s in the vert.oh man! Looking forward to the weekend!

Thanks guy for welcoming me back for a quick fly in race!

It was fabulous to see you all! I got up Sunday morning with an aching in my heart. The night before I had heard from “Ironman Steve” and the “Gladiator Bill”, what a great time you all had on Saturday! “Two Timer” told me I should get my A** up to the race track and Tony Zwain texted me that it just wasn’t right that I was sitting at home on a race weekend. Scoot teased me with text pictures of his new ride, and “New Willy” said to put down my knitting.

So Sunday morning at 6:30 I rolled out of bed to clear blue skys and thought what a beautiful day to go flying. Where is a guy to go. A check of the weather, and breakfast with the wifey, dropping hints to her about how long it has been since I saw all my race buddies! She lovingly agreed I needed a day off, so began “Kevin’s Day Off”

Another check of the weather, a search for a airport close to Infineon followed by a couple calls to the local FBOs revealed Sonoma Valley Airport has a strategic location to land the V35B. A flight plan was laid out on Foreflight, a glass of juice and off to the airport to preflight. WIth clear blue skys and calm winds, I launched from KSBP at 10:00 am, anxious to land at a new airport and see what the day would bring. BTW since the Track Bag was in the hangar covered in dust I thought I would throw it in just in case someone was willing to give a ride along. As Ray said, you don’t go to the track without your helmet. Or the ball park without a mitt I might add.

25 knot head winds would delay my arrival, but it looked to be an entertaining ride, looking at Morro Bay and Lake Naciemento. Bruce Springsteen on the iPod and ATC in my ear, a grin on my face and adventure ahead, I was thinking how many other places could I live and do this. Incredible!!!

[attachment=1940]AAmorro.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1941]AANaciemento.jpg[/attachment]

Arriving at Sonoma Valley I was greeted by Vintage Mustang and a P51. Other shiny birds I don’t know the names of. A friendly pilot asked me my needs and a quick ride to Infineon was arranged. So by noon I was paying my $10 at the Raceway Gate. I waltzed through the paddack with a smile ear to ear. the smells, sounds and sights. Ahh this is a place to be!

Greeting all my old race buddies was the highlight of my day. you guys were all smiling and happy beginning a new season with the same camaraderie I expected to see. I only had 4 hours before I need to exit Sonoma, but I knew it was all worth it. Two Timer saw my bag and asked if I wanted to drive the 19 car? Why not I thought, lets see if registration will let me in. My Medical doesn’t expire until next month thus… I was in! A quick look through my track bag revealed everything was indeed in there from 8 months ago. A quick change and I prepare for Q.

Sitting in the car, I realized I would probably be dead last, but I was OK with it. I was about to be driving a race car on the pavement that is Infineon Raceway, Sears Point still to me. How cool was this. I woke up thinking I was going to do yard work. Q was a little slow as I forgot how much noise these cars make. There was in fact a wheel bearing giving up, Brad and the boys quickly remedied that before the race. BTM likes their cars a little more tail happy than I am comfortable with, but as they say loose is fast, BTM has proved that true. I did Q dead last, but again how cool is this!.. I am about to GO RACING!!!

For years now I have been telling fellow racers that Spec E30 is the place to challenge yourself, and once again you guys proved it true! Awesome racing and nobody is a slouch. I ran around in the back hoping to move up, it was not to be. You were all too good and I was too rusty. I am once again impressed. I think Brad has the video and for the group in front of me there was some active position changes, aggressive but clean, it appeared from my view. I think I finished 21st, maybe the farthest back I ever have, but with one of the biggest smiles I can remember!

Every second of the day was stellar. Truly an EPIC day. Congrats to all of you for what you get to do. Keep up the community! I hope to see you all a couple times this year. Thanks to Walter Ford for the ride back to the airport. and to all of you for the encouragement to join you.

I capped off the day watching Ferris Bueller’s Day Off with my girls. My favorite movie. Not sure who had a better day Ferris or Kevin!

Shoe out.

After Sunday’s race and trophy hand-out, Rick Row (owner of North Bay Bavarian) came up to me asking about who might be deserving of the Hard Charger Award ($100 cash). Since I was in both races I didn’t have a clue who should get the award…then a light bulb went on…I said we should award it to Kevin for flying up and racing with us on a total spur-of-the-moment. Rick said hell yes and added that the award made even more sense since Kevin turned a respectable 1:58 lap time on RA-1’s. The Shoe was then awarded the first NBB Hard Charger of the 2013 season! Too bad you had to leave before we could inform you! Ferrario has your Ben Franklin…make sure you get it from him!!

Good show Kevin…I’m hoping you keep using that Bonanza to do some more arrive & drives. Casa Ramos awaits my friend! :slight_smile:

Wow! The day is just that much better! Thanks Scoot and Rick. I will wear the North Bay Barvarian Hard Charger Award with pride!

I will say my hands felt like Hard Chargers in the race, with the loose set up and no ABS, my hands weree really busy. If I was a young Loren, Timmy or Michael, it may not be an issue but for an old man like me, I was feeling a litttle “behind” the car.

I guess I need to “Charge” a little “Harder” in my business, so I can get to some more races.

Shoe from 6500’

[quote=“theShoe” post=70741]Wow! The day is just that much better! Thanks Scoot and Rick. I will wear the North Bay Barvarian Hard Charger Award with pride!

I will say my hands felt like Hard Chargers in the race, with the loose set up and no ABS, my hands weree really busy. If I was a young Loren, Timmy or Michael, it may not be an issue but for an old man like me, I was feeling a litttle “behind” the car.

I guess I need to “Charge” a little “Harder” in my business, so I can get to some more races.

Shoe from 6500’[/quote]

Did the award even pay for the tie down??

Scoot & Ric gave me the “Hard Charger Award” in cash to bring back to SLO for Kevin. However, they forgot to factor in the transportation charge of of 36.3/mi & by the time I hit King City to diesel up the Excursion, it set me back almost $150.
Sorry Shoe, lunch this week is on me.:laugh:

Here is Jason A’s and I’s epic mid pack battle. Lots of side by side action through the s’s!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoWGT62MqjU&feature=youtu.be

For those who are interested…

Sunday’s Race

https://vimeo.com/59618526

Nice video Bennett & nice driving last weekend. Was that a nice move Jimmy B made on Loren on T2??