So i wanna get a Spec E30....

Hey guys, my names Jon and im from southern California. I am very interested in getting a spec e30. After doing a little research it seems like spec e30 is a good first race car to get into. I’ve been racing go karts for about 10 years now, and i have a little experience in sprint cars and formula cars.

My main issue is money, which is tough to come along these days. My question to you guys is simple. Is the money that i would invest into this race car worth it? It might seem like a vague question, but after racing for years on a budget i’ve always tried to get the best bang for my buck.

Around how much $$ would a competitive, race ready car cost? Do the cars run on slicks? And if so, how long do they last? Also, around how many people would i be racing against if i raced with NASA in California?

I love the idea of spec racing. I’ve raced rotax max karts for a few years now, and those are sealed motors. It makes things a lot more even as far as motor performance goes, and it really comes down to driver and set ups to win a race. Just thinking about it gets me excited. I really want to pursue this task and try to figure out the set ups and how to drive the thing. I will try to go to the next spec e30 race to try to look and see how things are done. See you guys at the track!

You can get race winning cars for $10-12k. We don’t run on slicks, we run on Toyo RA1 R compound tires which come with grooves and can be shaved. They cost at least $600 a set brand new, and how long they last seems to be very debateable.

You can get cars that haven’t won races for $8-10k I figure. In our class don’t worry too much about cars that have won races. It’s the drivers winning the races, not the cars.

Jon, post over in the CA subforum. Mumble something about mentoring in exchange for beer and your collection of Kazakhstan bondage mags.

The money that you would invest is totally worth it! Spec E30 racing = Big Fun!!! The best value is in buying a well sorted car that you can hop right in and race. There are several cars in the classifieds on this site now.

Hi Jon. I’m in basically the same situation as you. Look at the thread New to SE30 to see some of the advice I have received.

It looks like there is a NASA weekend at Infineon the weekend of June 11. I’ll be there asking questions and trying to learn about the series before buying a car. SE30, especially in Nor Cal, really does seem to be a fun and friendly atmosphere.

And to follow on what Ranger said, I am led to understand that all questions can be answered and all secrets learned if you bring beer.

The money that you would invest is totally worth it![/quote]Race cars are NOT investments. Every time you put the car on track, consider it a total loss. If you bring anything back to the paddock, it’s a bonus.

That said, as long as the money you spend racing isn’t going to change your retirement date this is so much damn fun it should be illegal.

Buying a $10-12k car that someone built intending to sell it as a $10-12k car will not win races. Buying a $25k car that someone’s wife told him he damn well better sell will win you races. :laugh:

The money that you would invest is totally worth it![/quote]Race cars are NOT investments. Every time you put the car on track, consider it a total loss. If you bring anything back to the paddock, it’s a bonus.
[/quote]

Race cars are a depreciating asset. Sometimes depreciation occurs rapidly.

That sir is the million dollar question! I think that anyone racing seems to think, yes. It is not that much more money to race SE30 than it is to be competitive in karts. Only the crashes cost much more, as Ranger pointed out. Come out to Willow Springs in 2 weeks. The SoCal group is growing very quickly. There are great incentives from Midnight Oil to race a SE30. Stop by there shop in San Diego. Seth will point you in the right direction. What area are you in?

That sir is the million dollar question! I think that anyone racing seems to think, yes. It is not that much more money to race SE30 than it is to be competitive in karts. Only the crashes cost much more, as Ranger pointed out. [/quote]
Oh no you don’t. My crash isn’t going to cost much. A person just has to get to the point to where they can do their own wrenching, and then use some imagination. I’m picking up my parts car tomorrow. I’ll sell enough out of it to cover the replacement cost for my fabulous double-pass radiator (that arrived today) and a chunk of this summer’s repaint.

I’m going to go to the local MAACO and see if I can do some deal where I buy the paint from them and then under their direction repaint the car. I’ve always wanted to know how to paint, the car needed a repaint anyways.

I’ll end up paying a bit for the paint and to replace some custom decals, but that’s all. And I’ll learn how to paint.

That sir is the million dollar question! I think that anyone racing seems to think, yes. It is not that much more money to race SE30 than it is to be competitive in karts. Only the crashes cost much more, as Ranger pointed out. [/quote]
Oh no you don’t. My crash isn’t going to cost much. A person just has to get to the point to where they can do their own wrenching, and then use some imagination. I’m picking up my parts car tomorrow. I’ll sell enough out of it to cover the replacement cost for my fabulous double-pass radiator (that arrived today) and a chunk of this summer’s repaint.

I’m going to go to the local MAACO and see if I can do some deal where I buy the paint from them and then under their direction repaint the car. I’ve always wanted to know how to paint, the car needed a repaint anyways.

I’ll end up paying a bit for the paint and to replace some custom decals, but that’s all. And I’ll learn how to paint.[/quote]

You just need to find an Acu Color that is close to your color and rattle can it. Ford Candy Apple Red is so close to Zinno it’s awesome. Get some body hammers from Harbor Freight and beat it as smooth as you can. Bondo if you want. Wash, rinse, Repeat.

I think someone on the west coast is renting SE30’s. Rent one for a weekend and see if you enjoy it before jumping in with a build or purchase. Then you can HPDE it or race if you have a license. If it feels like your thing start shopping or building. If not find and rent a car from another series and try again.

Yes its the driver that makes the car win but I am not sure if there are many front runner cars that have not to been fully sorted and that takes time and money to get right. Almost all major items on a 20+ year old car need replacement in the first few seasons at best. Parts are reasonable but after awhile it all adds up. Its easy to get 20k into a car building form scratch or buying a done car and redoing stuff that wore out or was not done to your liking.

Overall its one of the best bang for the buck series out there.

Race cars are a dumb investment financially. Race cars are the best investment you can make for your soul.

If you’re in SoCal - send me your email address via private messaging and I’ll add you tot he SoCal mailing list (41 people strong now).

If you’re in NorCal - then we’ll hook you up with the Series Director Scott Neville (Scoot is his nickname).

NorCal is a mature series and has seen as many as 32 cars start a race this year. Here in SoCal as 78Kona (Allan) pointed out we’re just getting going and we had 8 cars at the last race and 5 at the next - we’ll likely have 12 running in SoCal by end of year.

We’re a pretty close nit group both North and South, and the competition is mostly clean but 100% good natured, there are no ego’s in SoCal yet - so it’s a good time to come out and play.

MidnightOil and Seth Scally has been the best thing to happen to SoCal SE30 and is a real great resource for us all. In fact he and MidnightOil are doing a bang up job of being SoCal’s version of Walter Ford and what he did with Point Six Racing for NorCal.

Welcome, To answer your question about whether or not racing is worth it…I believe that is all up to you and what you make of it. For me, I can’t wait to get started! I wish I could start tomorrow! But with starting a new job and getting married in August this year won’t be it for me. (I am on the east coast and just purchased a 91 e30 that will serve as a dd for a while then I will build into a spec.)

I should also add that the people in here are some of the nicest and most helpful and will definitely keep you motivated!

Okay cool thanks guys! It seems like the spec E30 community is a good one, which is awesome. I would love to just get a descent car that’s competitive and not falling apart.

Maybe investment was the wrong word to use haha. I have been racing for years and i will continue to go till im an old man. so no matter the cost i will be at the track racing!

Kgobey, i live in san juan capistrano which is in southern california in orange county. ill send you my email.

78kona, Stopping by the shop in san diego is not a bad idea. after school gets out in a few weeks ill have some time to stop by. And ill go to the willow springs race too.

Mahoneyj, renting a car is probably the first thing im gunna do. Does anybody know who rents any cars? Every time i go karting something breaks so im used to it haha.

ranger, i got you on beer man haha

Thanks guys

Re. getting a car that isn’t all ragged out.

It’s not that easy. Every car is all ragged out unless it’s a fresh build. Things start needing replacing after a couple dozen track events, so all cars need some stuff replacing. And anything that doesn’t need replacing is likely to need replacing within 2yrs. Even if it’s a fresh build, there’s going to be things that you want to replace just because they irk you.

Car’s pop up for sale every month or two. If the looks decent, comes with spares, is a good buy and has a good cage, talk it over with your mentor and get it.

I have a near new spec e30 for sale at the moment if you are interested. I am in norcal, car #11. It has run 2 events since new and done very well in the huge and talented norcal field. email mikeski38@hotmail.com for photos. It is a really clean rust free body, nice cage and all the details are complete. (camber kits, crank scraper, wheel spacers, splitter, oil pan skid, ect.) Car can come with a good spare list if interested.

Welcome to addiction!

I can tell you this much, I have been on the fence about what to race. Spec 944, Spec E30, Nascar, Indy Car, Formula 1…:huh:…and I can tell you that this is a great group.

As for cars, take your time and find what works for you. The race season has started so if the car is for sale, someone needs out and probably doesn’t want out. Or, find the right donor car and start working on it yourself. Now if that doesn’t appeal to you, there are a host of cars out there that might work. Don’t worry about being on the front row or what the car has done in the past. Just get the car ready and get out there. Remember, the fun is in being out there with the folks in that particular class. Now if you are a “I must win at all costs” kind of driver, you might want to think twice.

I would rent a car and do an HPDE with it. Get to know the people in the series and see if both you and the car bond. Trust me, the SE30 group is a great one to be associated with and you will enjoy the class.

The next thing I would do is get your NASA license. Sign up for the Driving Concpets race school (www.drivingconcepts.com) and set yourself squared away with your NASA racing license. Once you have done so, you can then race provisionally, even if you rent a ride.

By the way, going to Willowsprings May 21-22 is a great idea. Come up and see what it is all about.

Oh, if you don’t already know this, the time to buy the car that touts the fact that it was the series winner or came in 1st at nationals is right when it comes off the race track of that race. Months later and it is probably not the same car.

I’m just sayin’…

I’ve actually known guys that bought cars that won championships only to find the motor was changed before the sale.

I pulled the trigger last november and bought a mostly prepared car for a screaming deal. Last month was the first time I took the car to the track at the norcal Thunderhill event in HPDE 4. Im getting my license eval this coming weekend and can not wait for my first race!! I was looking at spec E30 for about 2 years trying to figure if it was right for me and I think it is. The cost into building my car up so far is about 10k or 11k but thats including all the safety equipment, suit, new helmet, defnder, underwear, and a fresh motor also.

This series is so much cheaper than just tracking my 05 STi, that it makes sense.