slippery feet

I think I am leaking coolant down onto the floor board by my feet. The reason I think it is coolant and not just the drains clogged is because the car has been in the barn for the last 6 days so it has seen no rain. I am guessing something with the heater core is leaking. I am running HPDE at VIR this weekend (group 1 white # 12 first time at VIR) and was wondering if I could bypass the heater core without taking out the dash as time is running out. I have been working on this car since december to make it more track ready for this season, and really don’t need any last min. problems. I am riding the short bus when it comes to my wrenching skills, but I am learning.

Any Ideas how I can fix this problem and keep my floor free of slippery liquid?

I think the car is pretty well sorted out expect for this problem, but if I come looking for parts or advice when something breaks be kind!!

Thanks in advance.
Greg

87isMan wrote:

[quote]I think I am leaking coolant down onto the floor board by my feet. The reason I think it is coolant and not just the drains clogged is because the car has been in the barn for the last 6 days so it has seen no rain. I am guessing something with the heater core is leaking. I am running HPDE at VIR this weekend (group 1 white # 12 first time at VIR) and was wondering if I could bypass the heater core without taking out the dash as time is running out. I have been working on this car since december to make it more track ready for this season, and really don’t need any last min. problems. I am riding the short bus when it comes to my wrenching skills, but I am learning.

Any Ideas how I can fix this problem and keep my floor free of slippery liquid?

I think the car is pretty well sorted out expect for this problem, but if I come looking for parts or advice when something breaks be kind!!

Thanks in advance.
Greg[/quote]Almost guaranteed to be the heater valve. It is on the left side of the trans tunnel, a little forward of the heater coreyou can see about looping the heater hoses together in the engine bay where they go thru the firewall with a Nipple and some hose clamps.

See rules, 9.3.5.3.1 "heater hoses may be plugged." So, bypass the heater core and tie the two hoses that go to the core together. Staying with the rules, leave the heater core in place as it should not be removed. Problem solved.

Input from others?

Regards, Robert Patton

Clutch master leaking!!!

Al

Patton wrote:

[quote]See rules, 9.3.5.3.1 "heater hoses may be plugged." So, bypass the heater core and tie the two hoses that go to the core together. Staying with the rules, leave the heater core in place as it should not be removed. Problem solved.

Input from others?

Regards, Robert Patton[/quote]

This is exactly how I have mine set up.

I think it is coolant cause it is clear, so I think the cluth master is okay. As the coolant is running down the trans tunnel next to my right foot. I will try looping the 2 hoses together.

Thanks for the help
:slight_smile:

will update

It’s most likely the core as the clutch fluid is brake fluid and you could smell that and it would feel slippery. Here’s a pic of my bypass, hope it helps. Got the parts at a standard automotive store.

Awesome Thanks for the pic

I am going to fix tonight.

on the way to advanced auto right now.

Do I need to loop them together? or can I just plug them.

Capping them would be a lot easier and thats what the guy at advanced suggested I do, or would this mess up the flow?

You are bypassing the core. Water still has to flow so I simply put caps over the ends of the core to seal that off. Then, I used a barbed elbow (it’s tight work in that space w/out the manifold taken off. And I simply joined the two hoses that I removed from the connections on the firewall.

Thanks I thought the guy at advanced was wrong, thats why I asked. I just couldn’t imagine that the water didn’t need to circulate.

Looks like this has been a problem for a while. When I pulled the sound deadening off a couple of weeks ago that area coming down was the only part of the floor board that was rusted. Must have been leaking for some time. When I got water in there I just figured the drain was clogged, that solves the ? why I could always smell coolant.

If something is going to go wrong it will be to my car and it will be something that almost never happens. Like a broken half shaft. when I got that fixed Bobby Thrash at strickly german said those never break, or a brand new shock fails. Just trying to get a whole weekend out of the car as I need seat time.

Funny story last Aug. at RA my dad’s car didn’t get finished in time so he brought the e. My car broke a half shaft so I didn’t want to drive it home. We trailered the e, but it lost a motor mount and cut the lower rad hose. We already had my car on the trailer when we went looking for a lower rad hose. The first one of you guys we came to looked at us like we were from Mars. After explaining what happened he said why not take it off the car on the Trailer.

Duh!!!

Thanks a million for the help guys this is a great forum. I will stop by and say hello this weekend.(hopefully not looking for parts). Shouldn’t be hard to find 28+-cars look forward to watching the races.

Greg Moberg

double post sorry.

Thanks I thought the guy at advanced was wrong, thats why I asked. I just couldn’t imagine that the water didn’t need to circulate.

Looks like this has been a problem for a while. When I pulled the sound deadening off a couple of weeks ago that area coming down was the only part of the floor board that was rusted. Must have been leaking for some time. When I got water in there I just figured the drain was clogged, that solves the ? why I could always smell coolant.

If something is going to go wrong it will be to my car and it will be something that almost never happens. Like a broken half shaft. when I got that fixed Bobby Thrash at strickly german said those never break, or a brand new shock fails. Just trying to get a whole weekend out of the car as I need seat time.

Funny story last Aug. at RA my dad’s car didn’t get finished in time so he brought the e. My car broke a half shaft so I didn’t want to drive it home. We trailered the e, but it lost a motor mount and cut the lower rad hose. We already had my car on the trailer when we went looking for a lower rad hose. The first one of you guys we came to looked at us like we were from Mars. After explaining what happened he said why not take it off the car on the Trailer.

Duh!!!

Thanks a million for the help guys this is a great forum. I will stop by and say hello this weekend.(hopefully not looking for parts). Shouldn’t be hard to find 28+-cars look forward to watching the races.

Greg Moberg