Skid plate

Finally had some time to install the skid plate over the oil pan area.

Everything went in well and I think it’s going to offer a nice protection.

The only bad thing is now I have to take off the plate each time I change oil. (and I do change the oil a lot)

I was thinking about maybe cutting a hole to access the drain bolt.
I would like to cut out an area as small as possible and yet be able to drain the oil.

Anyone have done this? Any design ideas?

I’ve just accepted the fact that I’m going to have to remove mine.

But Paton or/Chuck were talking about some kind of an arm or right angle pipe that would simplify the process?

I don’t know that a small hole will work. The way the stream moves… it would get pretty messy

I’m going to look for some pipe fittings.

Anyone know the spec on the drain plug? Is it 14mm - 1.5?

I installed the skid plate recently. Drilled a hole through it right under the drain plug with a hole saw. Then I bought a cheap plastic skinny funnel & cut the top til it fit nicely through the hole to the plug for draining. Works great.
tom

Interesting ideas, guys. Chi, the bolt is M12x1.5 spec, and Tom, I’d like to see this cut-down funnel that you made.

Robert has a supply of drain valves that have a slider to open/close, but they don’t have a 90-degree bend so while a wrench isn’t required, it still projects the oil sideways, which means messy. I’ll look into whether a 90 degree version of the drain fitting that he has is available.

This feedback is good, though. I had thought that removal/reinstallation of the plate was easy enough that people wouldn’t mind, but obviously some of you guys are looking for a better way, so why not?