Skid Plate Rules?

Hello Folks,

I have a excellent skid plate that I have been manufacturing for a couple years now and they have been tested on lots of cars both on and off the race track. They have been ran in the 25hrs of thunderhill and Targa Newfoundland last year and another one went to Targa Newfoundland this year along with a couple drift boys and your slammed street E30’s as well. These plates have proven themselves to earn the title of Severe Duty.

A couple years ago I had checked on the rules and it was only allowable to have one style that went from the steering rack to the core support. I would be interested to know how that is working out for those using them and if there is a interest in something a bit heavier duty and is there a way to contact someone in regards to testing and possible rule change allowances?

If someone could point me in the right direction I would much appreciate it. I think it would be great if you guys could take advantage of these ‘Severe Duty’ skid plates.

I have included a couple pictures and basic specs;

Additional road kill stories, pictures, and customer feedback can be found here.
http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95327

[quote]Kit specifications:
Plate: 10 gauge Hot Rolled 1070 Carbon Steel (1.5X stronger then mild steel), precision laser cut, press brake bends, 2 v-bar reinforcements down the entire length for complete support and rigidity.

Hoop Bar: Structural Round Tube Steel 1020 DOM Structural Round Steel Tube 1-3/4 OD x .120 wall x 1.51 ID (Requires welding)

Hardware: All quality fasteners included.

All components are Powder Coated for durability.[/quote]

Good to see you Robert. I’ve asked for a rule change this year for flexibility in skid plates. If folks feel strongly about the idea they need to contact their Regional SpecE30 Honcho. That way when he/she is polled he can answer “the folks in my region want < >”.

The currently allowed skid plate may help you skip over some obstacles, but if you have hard contact, the force is simply transmitted straight through the diamond plate directly to the oil pan. (Ask me how I know!) Some sort of padding between the current skid plate and oil pan, or a more rigid skid pad that is not in direct contact w/ the oil pan (like the one described here) would be an improvement as long as it is not too expensive to purchase and/or install. Can you simply tap the frame rail and bolt it on rather than weld it?