shift from 3rd to 4th, problems...

Looking for some opinions on why my car does not like the 3-4 up-shift, especially at redline. All other up-shifts, and down-shifts for that matter, are fine. 5th down to 4th, no problem. 4th to 3rd, no problem. Only 3rd up to 4th is giving me trouble.

I installed a Z3 shifter, new bushings, DSSR, and all new shifter components recently thinking it would tigthen everything up (it did) but now I just have a shorter throw into the spot where I think 4th gear is.

Bad syncro? User error (I can make every other shift just fine!)? I’ve tried multiple methods of holding the shift lever, with no success.

The silver lining to this otherwise shi++y situation is by avoiding the dreaded up-shift to 4th I find myself leaving it in 4th when I used to go down to 3rd, and my segment times have dropped a bit. The damn thing can’t do the whole track in 4th though, so this has to be fixed eventually.

Thanks in advance for your advice/thoughts.

What kind of DSSR? There is one brand that doesn’t seem to work well…

The DSSR we installed was from UUC.

The problem didn’t seem to get any worse or better with the new shifter/DSSR install, just shorter throws.

Could be a worn fork? Maybe check the ball bearings in the detent (the little cap on the top driver side. Prob have to remove it tho to check). Other than that there is usually no easy fix. I have some of the same problem and Andrew Z said the answer is to shift hard. Worked so far.

I would think worn out synchro if it goes into 3rd correctly. Rebuild time:sick:

How are your trans mounts? I had similar issues when I ran the stock trans mounts (even mis-shifted from 3rd to 2nd once or twice…:unsure: ). The poly mounts means my trans moves a lot less, and 4th gear is always in the same place.

It’s obviously not the UUC DSSR and I have nothing but good things to say about UUC and AKG products. I’ve seen another DSSR that was completely wrong and limited selector level travel to the point that it the transmission would not engage some gears.

My vote is rebuild with Drive Gear or swap to a known good unit.