[tr][td]Month/2006 April 1, 2012[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Jan-Mar/2007 April 1, 2012[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Apr-Dec/2007 Month/2012[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Month/2008 Month/2013[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Month/2009 Month/2014[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Month/2010 Month/2015[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Month/2011 Month/2016[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Basically, if your SFI sticker is March 2007 or older, you need to have it recertified by April 1 2012, and so on from there.

This was in a NASA-SE email blast today, but HANS (and I presume other 38.1 devices) are now going to have to be recertified periodically. BMW CCA Club racing had announced this earlier, so I just had mine done at HANS in Chamblee.

Here’s a link to the HANS page: http://hansdevice.com/SFI-Recertification-Program?sc=2&category=8

The HANS web page was unclear about tethers. I had updated mine a few years back and have a 2009 label on the tethers themselves. According to BMW Rules, these are now expired, but HANS apparently doesn’t care about that. They certified the unit and sent it back and didn’t trouble me about the tethers. NASA, I don’t think, has issued a standard on tethers, separate from the device itself.

My understanding is that from now on the SFI date tag on the HANS is what matters. Previously I’ve had the tether dates checked, but not The HANS. Mine is being recertified right now as its SFI tag would expire in the middle of this year. The good news is that the cert is good for five years.

Safety Solutions Products, like the R3, don’t decertify. I’ve talked this issue at length with them 2yrs ago when a BMWCCA Tech Inspector told me that “Your HNR will expire next year because it has no tags”. So last year I contacted Safety Solutions and had them send me a document to this affect that I keep in my logbook.

As of this date BMWCCA is only applying the SFI expiration date to HANS gear. Lots of posts at bf.c about this, most of it annoyed.

My hybrid pro rage has an sfi tag with manufacturers date on it so I would think the rule applies to safety solutions products also.

My understanding is that the device must have a dated SFI tag and be within the 5 year window to be be legal.

Mind sending me a copy of that?

The announcement of the requirement is on the BMW CCA Club racing site and there is a thread about it in the Track section of Bimmerforums. It appears that NASA will follow the Club Racing rules on this from what I’ve heard.