Seat Recommendation

I apparently have a tall torso, and finding a seat with shoulder harness pass-throughs that are high enough is my biggest issue. Most Sparco seats for instance are too low. In the past I had to go to an Evo 2-Plus to get the pass-throughs high enough. The trouble with that is that it’s also a wider seat and I’m looking for something a little more snug.

I’m not a small guy at 6’ / 220, but apparently it’s all in the Z-axis, as I was able to fit quite nicely in a 15" Ultra Shield Spec Miata seat when I ran SM.

I’d like to find a nice halo seat that’s somewhat snug, and has the shoulder pass-throughs high enough. Something like the Pro-ADV would be perfect, if only the shoulders were higher.

I know a lot of this comes down to “go find a seat and sit in it and see if it fits”, but I was wondering if there are any of you who have found yourself with similar sizing constraints that might have a decent recommendation. Any thoughts?

What if you set up your harness such that the shoulder straps run thru the top of the shoulder holes instead of their bottom? In both of my cars I had to put a bar on top of the horiz cage bar in order to raise the shoulder straps. There’s sure to be a pic of this in the “New #6 build” thread.

Maybe it’s just a Sparco thing. I have the same issue with their suits.

Thanks for the idea, but it’s not so much an angle-of-attack thing as it is my shoulders being above the top of the pass-through. I had to do something similar to what you mention on the Miata:

A picture is worth 1000 words or so…

Here’s a typical seat. It’s not my current race seat, and these pass-throughs are smallish, but you get the point. Can’t even see it at all with me sitting in the seat:

Seat:

With me:

Check out Sabelt seats
http://www.teamdi.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=64&Itemid=61&vmcchk=1&Itemid=61

Agreed, you’re too tall for that seat. The wings should be at your shoulders, not armpits. It’s not that your just too tall either, that seat is plain ol’ too small. We should be able to see the wings, but we can’t. So the seat is also too narrow. Is that the Sparco Lolita?

I used to remove the rear half of the seat cushion. How much would that drop your butt?

[quote=“Ranger” post=72376]Agreed, you’re too tall for that seat. The wings should be at your shoulders, not armpits. It’s not that your just too tall either, that seat is plain ol’ too small. We should be able to see the wings, but we can’t. So the seat is also too narrow. Is that the Sparco Lolita?

I used to remove the rear half of the seat cushion. How much would that drop your butt?[/quote]

That’s just a spare seat I had lying around. The seat in the racecar is a Corbeau. Don’t like it much, but it came with the car. I do run without the rear cushion there as well to get as low as possible. Have to figure in the height of the H&N system as well.

I’d like to splurge a little and have the next seat be an optimal one. I sat in a ProADV and it felt great… but the shoulders are too low. I like the idea of the Sabelt Taurus, and the price isn’t bad either. Looks like the openings for the pass-throughs are fairly generous. I wish there was someplace close that carried them so I could test fit one.

I had Butler custom build me a seat. I had it made about 3-4 years ago. I seem to recall it costing around $1600. It’s a full containment seat with the top scooted back that helps with Hans clearance. It was a simple form with measurements to fill out.

I recently purchased a Bimarco Grip which has generously sized pass throughs.

http://www.bimarco.pl/index_en.php?id=grip

[quote=“rackeu” post=72381]I recently purchased a Bimarco Grip which has generously sized pass throughs.

http://www.bimarco.pl/index_en.php?id=grip[/quote]

What do you think of the seat? I’d been looking at that seat for a while, but the US purchasing options seemed sketchy. The price was great, but “you get what you pay for” and “too good to be true” kept coming into my head. I’d never seen one personally or known anyone that had one. Really interested to hear your opinion of the seat.

Surgery? Remove the least used portions of your anatomy between your sternum and pelvic floor. I’ll pay for the Scotch if you agree to film it.

[quote=“juliancates” post=72383][quote=“rackeu” post=72381]I recently purchased a Bimarco Grip which has generously sized pass throughs.

http://www.bimarco.pl/index_en.php?id=grip[/quote]

What do you think of the seat? I’d been looking at that seat for a while, but the US purchasing options seemed sketchy. The price was great, but “you get what you pay for” and “too good to be true” kept coming into my head. I’d never seen one personally or known anyone that had one. Really interested to hear your opinion of the seat.[/quote]I sat in Al’s seat at RRR last month, and liked it. I recently bought as well (went in on 2 of them with Robert), as the shipping for 2 is basically same as for 1.

Haven’t installed it yet, but I liked the fact the containment wings were a little shorter than some of the others; seemed a little less claustrophic. The FIA decal seemed real enough, and they advertise FIA on their website.

I bought a Kirkey halo seat a couple years ago. I wanted a halo that would not obstruct my vision, and I figured that if I was going to spend a bunch of money for a halo seat, it needed to fit me perfectly. I went thru lots of schemes on how to get “fits perfectly”, but ultimately decided that the only way I’d ever be completely happy with the fit was to get a seat that was adjustable. I wanted to avoid spending a fortune on a custom seat and then, 6 months later, be thinking…“gee, if only the shoulders gripped me tighter”.

Here’s how it all went down http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1626317-Just-bought-a-Kirkey-containment-seat&highlight=kirkey

I like it, and yes it is for real. Ludo, the French future spec E30 racer in Savannah brought it to my attention. He and I both bought one and got a discount. The back story is that they are using older Sparco molds. Ludo is well connected in Europe and they are very popular over there. They just don’t seem to have too much of a US presence.

I like the fit, the smaller halo wings assist with visibility and still plenty of support. Dropped right into my Sparco seat brackets. The only thing I perhaps don’t like is that the cover could be more substantial, thicker. With use i can see having wear spots, we will see if this occurs over time.

We negotiated via direct email rather than through ebay. Fine transaction and came sooner than what was expected. Did pick up a $40 customs broker charge We were not expecting but that only increased the cost 20 bucks a seat.

Hmmm… older Sparco molds, eh? Seems like it might not be for me then, as I’ve explicitly had issues with Sparco seats not being tall enough. Dang.

Could be just a story, don’t know. I measured the inside back height at 36 inches, and the pass through for the shoulder straps are at 26-30 off the seat bottom.