Seat Mounting Sanity Check

The previous owner of my racecar had a custom seat mount put in place. It works great for this seat, but isn’t adjustable at all. With a new seat on the way, I wanted to put something in place that was flexible enough to fit the new seat and accommodate my tweaks to seating position.

That said, I went with a combination of the VAC floor mount adapters and Motion Motorsport adjustable side mounts. Should be the ultimate in flexibility.

There’s only one problem. The front studs for the stock seat rails were cut off when the previous seating system was put in place.

My plan is to drill out where the studs are supposed to be and run a longer bolt down through the chassis, and secure with some large backing plates under the car.

Another option, depending on what kind of metal I find when I start drilling is to put a helicoil in.

I’m leaning towards the first option.

Any other ideas? Any reason I shouldn’t go this route?

Cheers!

Julian

I’d vote for first option, but of course make sure you don’t drill thru fuel lines on outboard side.

Thanks, Chuck. It looks like the fuel lines make a 90* turn before getting to where the hole would emerge, but I’ll be careful nonetheless. Unless somebody can convince me this is a stupid and unsafe idea, I’ll likely end up going this route.

I’m with Chuck. For backing plates, use some big pieces of steel shaped as necessary. Once the seat is fastened in place, take the car to a muffler shop. Have them lift the car and tack the nuts to the steel plates and the plates to the under body of the car.

Muffler shops weld under cars all the time so there’s no prep they have to do, and they’ve lots of practice welding so they’ve good skills. And, being a muffler shop, they’re cheap.

Then take a pic so we can admire your solution.

Good idea, Ranger, thanks!