Rule Change?

Ok this may have been covered but was unable to find the answer in searches…

I reread the regulations today about what can and cannot be done and there has been alot of uncertainty about the ability to remove the Turn signal arm and wiper arm from the car’s steering column. thus the question being;

Can the wiper/turn signal arms be removed?

If not, how can that be put in the rules to be allowed. There is no reason to have those left in the car, in fact in some cases they can be seen as problems for safety as well as proper functionality of the car. It would drive me nuts if i was bumping those things all the time while driving and having my wipers or turn signals coming on as well as other drivers. Some might say well just cut them back or bend them out of the way, well if we are going to follow the rules to the “t” then it does no say you can modify them, therefore you cannot bend or cut them, which is what most do.

Who agrees that these should be in the rules as an allowable interior component to be removed if it is not already?

I removed the wiper arm on my car since it wasn’t working and just wired it into a 3 position toggle switch. I was driving back from Mid Ohio and found myself caught in heavy rain and had to drive along pulling the arm forward to make the wipers work since it wouldn’t work any other way. The previous owner of the car bent the turn signal arm back a bit so he wouldn’t hit it with his hand although I’m convinced that he hit it getting into or out of the car at some point.

I am asking about the legality of removing it, not if it has been done.

Currently, I have mine removed and retired to toggle switches, but I would like to know if it is legal to do this and if it is not, if we can make it legal.

For some people the turn signal gets in the way of getting in the car and I have even heard of some people shattering theirs when getting in by accidentally kicking it.

So once again, can this please be an added item to the rules of legal things to be removed.

I’ll add it to my list of rule change requests that I’ll write up towards the end of the season. It will be lucky #13 in the list.

Do you have a request in to remove more weight. If not, I’d like to add that. 50-75lbs.

Thank you Ranger! Ill look forward to that rule being added.

You are on your own on that one.

i highly doubt we will be seeing any weight drops anytime soon.

I’m not sure about the legality, but here’s what we did. We just cut the stocks off to about 2-3" stubs and put little rubber covers over the ends. They can still be used for all their original functions, but don’t get in the way. Best of both worlds.

Matt

[quote=“Matt H.” post=67982]I’m not sure about the legality, but here’s what we did. We just cut the stocks off to about 2-3" stubs and put little rubber covers over the ends. They can still be used for all their original functions, but don’t get in the way. Best of both worlds.

Matt[/quote]
This is a common solution. The turn signal and wiper stalks have the darndest habit of “breaking” such that a 3" stub remains.

the problem with that solution is that is not technically legal to do since the rules do not say you can modify the arms. This is why i am asking for a rule change regarding this.

I tell you what. I will only protest your modified turn signal and wiper stalks if you finish in front of me. Deal?

Re. “not technically legal”. I don’t understand. Mine “broke” .

Re. rule change. I agree, that’s the correct approach.

You’d better not protest me. Jerk.

Oh wait… Nevermind.:unsure:

I wont mess with your car if you don’t mess with my car. B)

[quote]17.6 Bad Faith Protests
Any competitor, entrant, or team member having knowledge or suspicion of illegal parts
or modifications to another competitor’s vehicle has an obligation to immediately
disclose that information to that team, or to the Race Director, before the start of the
race. To file a protest in violation of these rules will cause action to be taken against the
protestor. This will not however, affect the acceptance, rejection, or outcome of the
protest.[/quote]

You’d better not protest me. Jerk.

Oh wait… Nevermind.:unsure:

I wont mess with your car if you don’t mess with my car. B)

[quote]17.6 Bad Faith Protests
Any competitor, entrant, or team member having knowledge or suspicion of illegal parts
or modifications to another competitor’s vehicle has an obligation to immediately
disclose that information to that team, or to the Race Director, before the start of the
race. To file a protest in violation of these rules will cause action to be taken against the
protestor. This will not however, affect the acceptance, rejection, or outcome of the
protest.[/quote][/quote]That’s unfortunate. The rule does not allow you to notify both the Race Director and the team, only “…that team, or … the Race Director”. Bummer.:evil: