Rule 9.1.1

Could anyone shed some light on exactly what this means:

9.1.1. All cars in this category shall compete with full road equipment, except as allowed by these regulations.

My car is coming close to meeting all of the rules as best as I can tell. I have been through both this forum and the rule book multiple times and I think I have a fair grasp of what is legal, but the term “full road equipment” is just cryptic enough that it has lost me. I am in the process of lightening the car and I don’t want to remove and discard something that will have to be put back.

Thanks for the help.

My understanding is: Do Not remove anything that came with the car from the factory unless it explicitly states that you can do so in the rules.

A lot of guys(GRM was one) have found that they have taken too much out of the car. I would put it on a scale before doing anything.

My car is not built yet, so take my advice with a grain of salt and wait for more experienced racers to post.

Peakracer.com wrote:

[quote]My understanding is: Do Not remove anything that came with the car from the factory unless it explicitly states that you can do so in the rules.

A lot of guys(GRM was one) have found that they have taken too much out of the car. I would put it on a scale before doing anything.

[quote]

+1 for both the interpretation of the rule and not going crazy on removing stuff. For certain don’t remove the 50lbs of sound insulation in the trunk until your car is finished and you’ve had 6 months to add other crap to it that you decided upon later.

Don’t forget the coolshirt box. The sound insulation should be the last weight that you remove. For certain you’d want to remove your sunroof before removing the sound insulation.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I will not be able to follow your advice on the insulation because my car was a little modified when I got it. The trunk insulation was gone when I got it and I am very aware of it every time I drive the car (for now it is my daily driver). With no radio I am trying to decide which is the more pleasing sound, the high pitched whine of the diff or the low rumble of the exhaust, either way it is loud and I miss the insulation. The guy I bought the car from built it for SCCA time trials as I understand, so I am more un-building than I am building. Oddly enough, even though he went to the trouble to remove all of the spare bits in the trunk the entire interior is intact and functional except the radio. Go figure.

+1 on the trunk.
All that wasted time for something that should’ve helped me balance the car better/easier.

MikeT wrote:

In that case don’t remove the sound deadening on the back seat shelf, until you are sure you don’t need it.