Road Atlanta Results

I think an appropriate punishment certainly involves beer and shirtless wrestling, but might also need to include actually making them run the pipe and bucket that I discussed, and the bucket has to interfere with the front bumper so they can’t bump draft! I’m thinking they need to run some shit on their roof too. And Alex needs to wear a “Megan and Liz” t-shirt all weekend or something. Or A-menudo or something.

Harkins needs to wear a Boy George shirt (or Culture Club) or a WHAM shirt. Sandro will rip either of those off with the quickness.

I just wanted to say I love this thread, and damn it I need to forget this damn S2000 and get back to racing my SpecE30.

yea, great thread…

now to jack it:

Why and the hell would they tear Sandro’s engine down out west if he passed the dyno…what the hell would you find internally?? Seems like a big waste of time and money…

Al

Al,

The tear down was not at the request of NASA as a normal compliance check after Sandro won the race. This tear down was in response to a fellow competitor, or group of competitors, that felt Sandro had an illegal motor since they clearly had nothing for him at Laguna. A protest and the $100 fee was put up stating his motor was illegal. After Sandro had to pay a mechanic $500 to tear the motor down, he was deemed legal by the officials. This was done even after the immediate dyno after the race. Total BS, but what do you do.

Ryan

[quote=“FARTBREF” post=81476]yea, great thread…

now to jack it:

Why and the hell would they tear Sandro’s engine down out west if he passed the dyno…what the hell would you find internally?? Seems like a big waste of time and money…

Al[/quote]

There was a grievous error made by NASA. The 100$ tear down fee penalized the winner (Sandro) who was legal. In SCCA, the protest fee is established assuming innocence so the protest fee of 1000$ was deemed necessary the last time there was a motor protest I know of. That covered the cost of the teardown and reassembly, thus not penalizing the legal winner. As it turned out, the racer who was protested chose not to be torn down and lost all points accumulated for the year. NASA needs to get their shit together…100$ was stupid and ridiculous.

My understanding was the the teardown was not in response to a protest. I’m not dead sure that I have this exactly right, but “I think” that the teardown was Shawn’s idea. His reasoning, so my understanding goes, is the he heard a couple guys state an opinion that Sandro had some funny business going on with his bottom end. The look at Sandro’s bottom end, via thru the spark plug port and also from underneath, was Shawn’s way of showing everyone that those rumors were baseless.

Think of it as Shawn helped Sandro prove to everyone that it was talent that won. And tequila. And laughter. And the ever-present smile.

That was not my understanding Scott but I am sure you had better facts than I or Sandro did. It was kept pretty quite. Ultimately I am happy that they took the oil pan off as this proves that the little Mexican beats us fair and square!:slight_smile: Last nationals they pulled the head and didn’t find anything as well.

Whatever it was, I’m just happy they tore it down. I wasn’t nervous then, but…

The funniest and most nerve wrecking was the dyno, because that is just so inconsistent and the margin of error is zero. The highest pull was 160.4 - that’s 1/2 of a horsepower below the limit… I was laughing out of nervousness. You should’ve seen Scott, Ryan and I staring at the screen… fun stuff! - A trip for us to remember forever. Hanging out with the SoCal guys was a riot. South East - South West it’s all the same, crazy bunch on either coast :woohoo:

Got a get a bigger crew next year to represent the SE!

Saturday: https://vimeo.com/135556773

Sunday: https://vimeo.com/135630132

Man, who needs coffee, when you got a video like that!!! Great run Lako! It really sucks we couldn’t make it to run with you guys - RRR it is for sure

I guess I don’t know the rules. Why get DQ for checking tire pressures at the end of the qualifying session? How does that effect the out come?

I don’t think he was dq for tire pressure prob for not going straight to impound. Could have been tire pressures or checking hamburgers on the grill

My guess is that monkeying with tire pressures could affect dyno results. E.g., maybe you’re slightly over on HP, but if you “check” your tire pressures and let a bunch of air out, that power won’t translate to the dyno because of a change in rolling resistance, tires slipping more on the rim, etc. So to avoid any question, they don’t want you effing with it.

Some people are just too dumb to be allowed to keep their qualifying positions. Lako is one of them, and I love him still. When they tell you at the drivers’s meeting, which you don’t attend, to come immediately up the hill to tech after the race, and instead you go to your pit, eat some food, drink a beer, and put 130 pounds of lead in the car to make weight, it doesn’t look good. Just kidding about the lead.

The reason they do this is because people can make a myriad of changes to the car in the pit. You could tinker with power, lower tire pressures, add weight, or do whatever else.

I’ve seen many people DQ’d at nationals over the years for doing things like checking tire pressures on pit road. Do not screw around with this at nationals. Ask Sandro what happens when you open the hood.

I got DQ’d last year at a regional event for not going straight to impound after Qualy, even though they were not checking for anything, not even weight for that session :stuck_out_tongue:

At Nationals, don’t let anybody give you anything, get in your car, of even reach inside after the sessions, and for the love of God, don’t open your hood :silly:

Based on watching what went down last year, I think the best course of action after a session is to drive straight to impound, shut off the car, and hold your breath until you faint. That pretty much guarantees you can’t do anything to offend the officials (unless of course they try to revive you for the “exit drill” !!

McKay is correct. My DQ was my error that started by coming to drivers meeting late. They were checking NASA stickers. I went to tech but only after getting out of car and checking my own pressures. Oh well, my bad. All of the above comments are really important for nationals. Have fun!

Not that it matters, but for those wondering…
Saturday Qualifying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fop61AKuEEQ&feature=youtu.be